Author Topic: Be aware: BetFair closes accounts!  (Read 65095 times)

Tags:
  • Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
Be aware: BetFair closes accounts!
« on: 02 Mar 2011, 11:35 »
During the last couple of months BetFair regularly close accounts due to "commercial market data usage".  :-\ (SECTION 1: Betting - General Conditions’ via http://www.betfair.com/aboutUs/Terms.and.Conditions/ )
They may think you are use the data in such way if you constantly monitor numerous markets without placing any bets. This is most likely to happen when you use the Lite version of MarkerFeeder Pro. In that case you may be approached by BetFair with a notice claiming you gather market historical data through MF Pro.

So:
1. Be aware your account may be closed if you don't place any bets for a long time even without exceeding the requests limit. Unfortunately we don't know the algorithm behind their decision (i.e. we can't recommend the optimal refresh rate or the maximum timeframe between any two bets). However it might be a good idea to bet from time to time, using the web site for example, if you are a user of MF Pro Lite, just to demonstrate betting activity.

2. MarketFeeder Pro must not (and in fact it can't) be used to collect and store market data. It is not a program's fault, it cannot be fixed because it is the restriction of the BetFair Terms and Conditions.

3. Feel free to contact our support department regarding this issue. But in this case we suggest copying your e-mail message to [email protected] or [email protected] - it'll save your time because we will most likely forward your messages to those addresses.

Thank you for using our software.
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

• Administrator
Re: Be aware: BetFair closes accounts!
« Reply #1 on: 28 Mar 2011, 15:03 »
Just a quick update on the latest advice from BetFair. Here's a copy of the message we got from BetFair with regards of some customers' accounts being suspended:

We are writing to you as a Vendor who offers a simulation or test mode as part of their software offering.

We ask that you make your customers aware that the simulation mode makes real requests for live Betfair data. This is important from a Data Request charge and an efficiency point-of-view. It should be made clear that the functionality (like any feature of the software) is offered as a tool to aid bet placement and not intended for long term data analysis. If customers wish to test strategies, they should instead use the Historical Data services made available via http://data.betfair.com/ or http://www.fracsoft.com – rather than relying on the live system. This is a much more efficient way for Betfair to provide such data.

Just to let you know that we are currently working on a tool that will let you perform data analysis based on BetFair historical data (i.e. the prices and other details of settled markets). But please note that until that tool is ready, you shouldn't use MarketFeeder Pro for collecting and storage of BetFair historical data (i.e. you must demonstrate some betting activity), otherwise it is likely that you will draw their attention as a potential licence violator.

If you want to ask some question or request additional information on this, I can forward your questions to BetFair, so feel free to post them in this topic.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 28 Mar 2011, 16:25 »
Hi Oxa,

Thanks for your latest message - this helps a lot to understand why my account were closed. However, there any chance you have direct contact with BDP Team because no one is getting back to my emails regarding account closure last Wednesday? It's quite important as I have a VPS and it's costing money to just sit there

It sounds like test mode on Betfair is slowly coming to an end - but your future release for "historical analysis" sounds amazing and hopefully will be the solution.

Hopefully you can help.

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 28 Mar 2011, 17:40 »
I agree that historical data analysis would be the answer to all of this and I would be an instant customer when this becomes available.  I had to stop using the test version due to data charges, but fortunately this was before they started closing acounts.

• Nerd
  • Élite
  • I think I could be on to something here!
« Reply #4 on: 29 Mar 2011, 08:58 »
Welcome back Oxa .. been a while since you posted.

First things first ... what the above says is ... if you are running in test mode throw a few $$ at Betfair now and then. There are no exact figures .. but 2-3 bets a week should not (i hope).

Secondly I can recommend Fracsoft data one of my somewhat successful strategies was born from Fracsoft data, although you cannot test strategies it's a nice view to see what goes, and how a market evolves. I was looking at trading when I was using it and it can definitely help you with that.

Lastly .. can't wait for a Time Machine type application for the sports exchange side.

Darkstorm .. have you had no response fro [email protected]?
Fortune favors the brave!

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:04 »
However, there any chance you have direct contact with BDP Team because no one is getting back to my emails regarding account closure last Wednesday? It's quite important as I have a VPS and it's costing money to just sit there
Please send your details to the support (i.e. account's username and date it was closed), and I'll forward your complaint to BetFair.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2011, 11:24 »

Buried under the code for v.7.0 I'm afraid.

First things first ... what the above says is ... if you are running in test mode throw a few $$ at Betfair now and then. There are no exact figures .. but 2-3 bets a week should not (i hope).

Exactly my point. Just demonstrate that you mean betting. They need their commission.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2011, 12:59 »

Darkstorm .. have you had no response fro [email protected]?

I have phoned up Betfair.

Here is a diary of what has happened since my account closure.

Wednesday, 23rd March

When I first noticed my account had been closed I sent a reply to an existing support
ticket for Data Charges. I received a delivery report so I know the email had been read. This followed on by phoning up Betfair who could only tell me my account has been closed by BDP and need to wait on their response.

Thursday, 24th March

This followed by sending a brand new email the following evening addressed to "Kirsty" as she was a great help previously on here. Once again a "read receipt" and no response. I sent a final email later on called "Account Closed - please can someone call me" and again read receipt and no response.

Friday, 25th March 2011

I phoned up Betfair who offered to send on an email to BDP Team to let them know have emailed them.

Monday, 28th March 2011

Once again phoned up Betfair explaining that I have a VPS unusable and costing me  money until I get this matter resolved. They said would send an email to them and also ask for a response to be sent both to us, e.g. back to the support team and me.

Tuesday, 29th March 2011

What a suprise no email from anyone. I have NEVER known BDP to take this long to respond. However, this is the first time ever had my account closed.

Please send your details to the support (i.e. account's username and date it was closed), and I'll forward your complaint to BetFair.

Unfortunately I think this is only way forward because this is just getting ridiculous now. The fact users like myself got NO warning or email to state reasons my account had been closed is bad enough, but for failing to respond to a single one of my emails that ALL had been read is rather unacceptable. I'll get the email across to you shortly.

Thanks for your help regarding this problem

• Nerd
  • Élite
  • I think I could be on to something here!
« Reply #8 on: 29 Mar 2011, 20:14 »
i agree Betfair forget that without the average Joe all the sharks would disappear too
Fortune favors the brave!

• All members
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2011, 06:31 »
My account was just closed!!!! maybe because my test mode drive on xfeeder from 38 gbp to 600 plus in 3 days did the trick!!!

• All members
« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2011, 09:16 »
What?  Are they monitoring activity on the games API now?

Thinking about it though, we have Time Machine, so there is no need to carry out real time testing.

• All members
« Reply #11 on: 08 Jul 2011, 22:40 »
This week I had my two accounts closed by Betfair,  it felt as being stripped of your citizenship and being left stranded in the middle of the desert.

Their explanation was that I had the profile of someone  gathering data for commercial use and I do not blame them because I had been testing systems for about two years.  I probably would not have  been so patient with somebody who keeps on using my systems 7 days a week for more than a year without placing bets.

Tim Vetrov gave me his support and a few words of wisdom,     :)  thanks Tim   :) ,  and after sending and receiving emails to  and from Kristy (from Betfair),  she agreed to reopen my accounts.  I was lucky because I had finished testing my systems and was going to start anyway,  but Betfair has been very patient with me during the last  two years.

My words of wisdom to other users of MFP are this,  use the demo mode but be very aware that we are placing a load on Betfair resources without giving anything in return so use it  moderately and place a few bets every week.

• All members
« Reply #12 on: 04 Oct 2011, 00:51 »
Has anyone experienced their account closed by BDP? I logged in via Toy Training Mode to try out some trading strategies. Then i just noticed that my account was closed.

I'm still waiting for their supports reply. 
You're never a loser until you quit trying.

• All members
« Reply #13 on: 06 Sep 2012, 14:24 »
Does MFP have a throttle adjustment like Gruss or can i assume that if i set refresh at
0.5 seconds it will count as 2 requests.

• Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 06 Sep 2012, 15:36 »
Yes, it has. But BetFair calculates requests from their side and that calculation could be different (but we done all our best to make it the same). Also MF can't take into account any other requests (from other software, site browsing etc.) So with any software it's possible to face the charges.
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE