Author Topic: BetFair vs Betdaq  (Read 90181 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Re: BetFair vs Betdaq
« Reply #15 on: 12 Mar 2011, 19:56 »
hi
i totally agree with you mcbee.

i have a lifetime license but i would be more than happy to pay more to have combine  Betfair / Betdaq Bot !!!.

we will have to wait and see what happens but what it means now is that i will have to start looking at betting bots for betdaq.

• Nerd
  • Élite
  • I think I could be on to something here!
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2011, 07:04 »
Another vote here for Betdaq
Fortune favors the brave!

• All members
« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2011, 09:30 »
Agree that the way the question is worded is not feeding back positive reponses about possible MFP usage.

Im sure Betdaq must have its own wobbles from time to time. An MFP version written for betdaq would get my vote. Not just as an alernative, but for daily use

• Élite
  • head always buried in stats
« Reply #18 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:27 »

Reply from Betfair re their latest outage below .................

We are working as hard as possible to ensure Betfair offers as reliable a site as possible. In a normal week we make at least 15 changes to the Betfair website but we have resolved not to release any new products or features for the next seven days. This should give maximum stability throughout a busy week that includes the Cheltenham Festival, cricket World Cup and Champions League football.

Below is an explanation of what went wrong and what we have done to fix the issue.

When the website failed, our first step was to disable Betfair for all our customers on the web, API and mobile services. Once we identified the actual problem, we determined that we needed our website "available" but with betting disallowed. We recovered the site internally around 18:00GMT and re-enabled betting as of 20:00GMT once we were certain it was stable.

Here is what actually happened:

After performing certain types of website changes, an issue developed that caused our servers to temporarily slow down, processing just one thing at a time (single threading) instead of thousands of user requests in parallel. This "single threading" behaviour was introduced some time ago to protect against occasional broken pages caused by serving content while it is changing. In tech speak, our servers weren't thread-safe on certain types of content changes.

This has been an operational concern for several weeks as our traffic has reached record volumes week after week. While we had several operational protections in place to limit these types of changes during peak load, we missed an important one. Every 15 minutes, an automated process was publishing exactly the type of content that triggers the issue described above. Yesterday we hit a tipping point as the web servers reached a point where it was taking longer than 15 minutes to complete their update - essentially rendering the servers unusable.

Then in an attempt to quickly shed load, we triggered a process to disable some of the computationally intensive features on the site. Unfortunately, the way this was done triggered a complete recompile of every page on our site, for every user, in every locale. Under our normal weekend usage, recovery took several hours.

After spotting the pattern, we've recognised this has been going on with varying impact since February 8, 2011. During periods of increased user traffic, our customers would experience this issue in the form of slow navigation or a "sticky" user experience. Yesterday was simply a tipping point, made worse by our recovery attempt.

We've fixed this problem now. We've disabled the original automated job and rebuilt it to update content safely. We've tripled the capacity of our web server farm to spread our load even more thinly. We've fixed our process for disabling features so that we won't make things worse. We've updated our operational processes and introduced a whole new raft of monitoring to spot this type of issue. We've also isolated the underlying web server issue so that we can change our content at will without triggering the switch to single-threading.

We believe these changes will bring the stability we all desire and thank you for your continued custom.

This time next year, we will all be paying Betfair premium charge commission rates!

• All members
« Reply #19 on: 14 Mar 2011, 13:53 »
Although I don't use Betdaq due to low liquidity and no MF Pro for it, I would be interested in having a version. The state of Betfair is despicable, and it's high time they be shown what competition is.

• All members
« Reply #20 on: 28 Mar 2011, 17:09 »
The solution would like others have said resetting the poll and the question.

Now you would need send an email out to ALL members linking everyone to this poll and/or a poll by email (click of button to register a vote) to find out what the true majority would like seeing as this poll is now old and never really had enough people voting on here.

For existing lifetime users perhaps an option to allow additional once-off charge for Betdaq API would be highly appreciated or something else. This might get more attention if put in a new "Topic" for "Polls" where you could ask these very questions and/or update the polls to find out the latest thoughts amongst members.

I think a Betdaq version could prove beneficial in the long run especially when betfair goes down and users are stuck in "bets" that would normally been traded/hedged out putting them in a horrible situation. An example of this is McBee - he mentioned  while ago that he was stuck when this happened to him with a VERY large liability from not being able to hedge them.

Hopefully this makes sense

Cheers DarkStorm

• Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: 28 Mar 2011, 18:48 »
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

• All members
« Reply #22 on: 22 Apr 2011, 13:41 »
Hi everyone. My first post..
Regarding premium charge, wouldn't it be nice if punters and traders collectively decided to take their business to let's say betdaq in protest? Betdaq could easily be like befair if a big enough bunch of players went there.
The problem is that only a small percentage of players is affected by PC, and therefore it would be hard to motivate most people to change market. But just to show that the real power could be (and is) in the hands of the majority of players, it would be cool.

Now, does anyone have an idea of how to make a collective thing like this happen?
Couldn't you reach a lot of people via Facebook, or forums like this one? Maybe a website that got hits on google could be made? This shouldn't be impossible. Also, doesn't Betdaq have only 3 percent in charge (whatever it's called)?
It doesn't have to be Betdaq, but that exchange is most like Betfair I think.
Suggestions please.

• All members
« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2011, 10:08 »
Yes, that would be nice. Facebook might work or very popular betting forums. This one I believe is too small. Betdaq appears to be the only viable alternative at the moment. Liquidity is still an issue there however. Even if you could reach a large number of punters, I think it would be hard to convince the majority to act.

• All members
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2011, 10:11 »
Betfair surpasses Betdaq on almost about anything. As far as we can all see, Betfair is much popular; however, I still use Betdaq from time to time especially when something happened wrong with the other one as it occasionally having technical problems.

• All members
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2011, 10:13 »
Man your Thinking ahead.

This is stuff for revision 9 or 10.

OK. lets go.

I never used Betdaq
 (That's because its European and I'm Australian)
 There are plenty of other sites that I do use
  Corporate bookmakers mainly
        tomwaterhouse.com.au
        IAS sport bet
        luxbet
        sportsbet
        centerbet
        canbet

Yes I would like to see Betdaq and the above sites incorporated into MFPro.
The benefits are obvious.
   O.K so its not obvious.
     (They all bet fixed odds -frequently above betfair prices does that help!)

(But this is years away)

Firstly WellDoneSoft management has to negotiate commercial arrangements with all parties.(That'll take at least 2 years)

Secondly it's not in Betfair, Betdaq or any corporate bookmaker long term interest to co operate with WelldoneSoft. (tomwaterhouse.com.au may be different he's just starting,small,trying to establish a business and currently needs market share. So strike while the irons hot)

And last of all Corporate Bookmakers love winners!
   e.g. WelldoneSoft negotiates terms with a corporate bookmaker.
     I open an account with the corporate bookmaker and start winning
               A. The account gets closed and i am politely told to go else where.
               B. They unload all my my bets onto other bookmakers
               C. They add their money to my money then unload onto other bookmakers.

It's a dog eats dog world.

Initially I saw this as phased project.

Stage 1. Introduction of .csv files (arrays)
  Read the bulletin board and you'll recognize that a fair percentage of MFPro
   customers need .csv (They just don't know what .csv is )

.csv are an industry standard. An excellent method of exporting and importing data.

Currently MFpro allows for lists e.g. jockey.txt
  and importing exporting via excel.

Lists are fine
excel (DDE) is non-standard buggy resource hungry
 (The last time I used it my computer crashed)

MFPro already has arrays.
 The remember function is an array
 All we need is method to write the array to a file
   (rem_market_id => c:/mydir/xxx.csv)

Likewise a method to import from a file into an array
   (market_runner_price= c:/mydir/market.csv)

End of stage one.

Stage Two The introduction of Bookmaker Odds(Betdaq odds if you prefer)
Of all the betting strategies that come to my ear... the most successful involve
Bookmaker Odds.
So it reasonable to assume that a some stage MFPro will obtain Bookmaker ODDS.
 (Hopefully from several sources including Betdaq.)

Stage Three
    Auto-login and full trigger betting with Betdaq and other corporate bookmakers.

When i bought MFPro - it was betfairs No.1 product.
                       MFPro probably still is betfair's No.1 product
                        (that's how far ahead of the pack it was)

OXA if you can get to Stage Three.
               MFPro will be No 1 in the world.

In the mean time.
          A Test Code still has bugs.
          B The "no more often than" is misfiring
          C Auto greenup and Auto Dutching need complete rewrites
          D Triggers need access to price ladder info
               (amount traded at each price)
          E Amounts need  to included in Test Mode
                 (the price ladder may prove to be the best source)

I'm sure there was more but my minds gone blank.
  oh that was it..
        (Trigger actions distribute loss/profit,attempt to green up,
          yep all the good stuff we could rewrite those too.)

Depends on how keen you are
 to help MFPro customers (That includes me)
 build successful bots
and win on betfair.

Happy Punting

Apples999

• All members
« Reply #26 on: 01 May 2013, 13:36 »
Hi,

I suggest to make a new pull, as with increase of commission level at betfair the situation changed a lot.
for example I am planning to try betdaq, because of the lower commission and I will definately need your services :)

Cheers,
Ivan

• All members
« Reply #27 on: 14 Jul 2013, 19:19 »
This is a no contest, betdaq always win.
Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE