Author Topic: Do you use traffic monitors (sniffers) to check bots' activity?  (Read 4770 times)

Tags:
  • Administrator
Dear members of the community!

Can you please share with me if you are using any traffic or network monitoring software, such as WireShark, HTTPAnalyzer or the like to check what's being sent and received by your betting bots?

If you do use them, what particular info do you look for? Is it for security purposes, i.e. making sure that the bot does not send your credentials to any server different than BetFair. Or are you interested in the volume of traffic uploaded and downloaded? Or is it for checking the quality or speed of the connection etc.?

Finally, do you use free or commercial products, and if the latter, how much (roughly) do they charge you?

The reason I'm asking is that we'd like to improve our customers' betting experience with additional functionality by offering certain traffic analyzing functions.

I for one use sniffers a lot to track errors in applications I develop, and also to analyze HTTP headers of some tools I use. I purchased mine for about $99, I'm generally happy with it, but it can be slow when the number of requests exceeds a thousand.

Thanks in advance to everyone who will participate.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
Hi Oxa
I have previously used WireShark to analyse traffic to and from MarketFeeder, but not recently. I do use your troubleshooter app on the support site for occasional connection problems, but otherwise if all connects OK and the markets are being refreshed, no need to check anything.
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Administrator
Mark, could you specify what you were looking for in the traffic when you were using WireShark?
Would you like - for example - a special notification is something suspicious were found in the traffic?

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• All members
Mark, could you specify what you were looking for in the traffic when you were using WireShark?
Would you like - for example - a special notification is something suspicious were found in the traffic?
Hi Oxa
There were 2 reasons:
I had added the IP of Betfair API to the Windows HOSTS file, and then one day MarketFeeder did not work for me. Betfair changed the API IP a few years ago during the Gibraltar upgrade. Wireshark data pointed me in the direction to correct the problem.

I also wanted to make sure login data was not being broadcast unencrypted over wifi like smtp traffic is.

Actually just remembered one more. Quite a while ago your login authentication server was offline temporarily. It turns out your provider was down. Wireshark confirmed the problem. 
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Administrator
Thank you for answering Mark! You are very technically savvy as always. :)

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• All members
In addition to this, also monitor your internet connectivity and make sure you don't get disconnected just to avoid further issues.
We only live once.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE