Author Topic: remember function versus setting a variable  (Read 2919 times)

Tags:
  • All members
remember function versus setting a variable
« on: 06 Mar 2016, 14:07 »
Hi Everyone

As I understand it, when you use the remember function, all aspects of a market are stored at that moment, and can be accessed later by MFP.  However, if I set a variable, then it stores one specific number which can then be recalled.

I would therefore imagine that the remember function is therefore much more memory intensive for the programme to deal with, given the wealth of data that is 'remembered' at that moment.

Can anybody confirm that this is true, and if it is, how much more efficient it is to use a variable rather than the remember function if you are only interested in one specific aspect of a market?

• All members
Re: remember function versus setting a variable
« Reply #1 on: 06 Mar 2016, 18:11 »
Hi armarni
I think the key difference is remember makes a list of qualifying selections and their related data at the moment of remembering, great for making comparisons etc., whereas setting a user variable is better utilised for storing values of formulae, updating counters, on-off switches etc.

I do not think memory is an issue using remember unless you go crazy with it. (I believe there is some sort of pun in the last sentence ;D) For example, the earlier version on the Over Under Martingale trigger had nine remember triggers and there was no problem there. Remember also has the option of remembering, or not, the qualifying selections bets. Turning that off will save some memory.

I can't give you any numbers, but I would say try remember if it suits your purpose. If trigger performance is affected you will know it.
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
Re: remember function versus setting a variable
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2016, 20:36 »
Thanks for the detailed response mark. I currently use a combination of the 2 in my triggers, but their use has just been organic as my triggers have evolved, so I was curious about streamlining my triggers to make them just that little bit more efficient.

Like you say though, if it isn't broken, don't fix it!

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE