Author Topic: Virtual Private Server  (Read 8427 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Virtual Private Server
« on: 05 Jul 2014, 21:45 »
Does anyone out there run MF Pro through a VPS? 

I was hoping to be able to control MF Pro by using a smartphone or 7 inch tablet to remotely operate the VPS.  Anyone using that method?

Is that practical, or will the screen be too small to operate the program successfully - edit triggers, operate the ladder etc? 

Thanks in advance for the benefit of anyone's experience.

O

• Élite
Re: Virtual Private Server
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jul 2014, 06:24 »
hi
yes, mfp will run trough a vps.
as for the other question with the smartphone, i do not know.

mcbee
Please read the following  disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jul 2014, 07:18 »
Yes, that's possible but screen is too small.
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

• Nerd
  • Élite
  • I think I could be on to something here!
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jul 2014, 09:42 »
Yes I am doing it.

I have a VPS, have had a server also before.

On my old iphone 4 I was using iRemote Desktop (best remote smart phone app i have ever used)
Got an andrioid phone now and using chrome remote desktop. It's good enough, but unlike the iPhone app there's no special keys (shift, function keys, arrows etc.)

You can zoom on the apps and do pretty much everything you need to do. Writing trigger from scratch can be tough, but if I have the time and only a smart phone it's fine. Modifying them is a piece of cake or restarting MFP is not a hassle.

remember to get a VPS located in a Betfair friendly country. UK is best obviously. Failing that you might need to get a VPN service for a few dollars per month.
Fortune favors the brave!

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jul 2014, 19:34 »
Thanks all, but especially 1oser for sharing his experience that it can be done.

I'm not expecting to need to do anything major remotely. Probably just activate/deactivate a selection for auto trading, edit some constants in my trigger then save and reload it.  That and keep an ear and eye out for the trigger firing and generally monitor a market via the ladder.  Sounds like you think that should be pretty simple 1oser?

I had a quick look at Chrome Remote and saw that it is free but some suggestion that sound doesn't come through to the mobile device - do you get sound through OK?

I'm going to get an Android phablet I think.  Was looking at the Asus Fonepad with a 7 inch screen.  Not the highest spec but pretty much the biggest phone screen available.  As far as I can see (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), the spec of the mobile device is not that crucial just to hold and run the mobile connect program.  But I think screen size will give my not so delicate fingers the best chance of making this work for me.  Interested to know what screen size you manage to work with.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.
O

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jul 2014, 07:01 »
Hi Orzola,
The Asus phone pad looks a beauty ! I may get one myself.
It's a great idea to use via a vps when on the run. With regard to some of the tasks required when using MFP my only concerns are twofold. One being the internet connection speed and stability while interacting with your remote server. The other being how dexterous you are. 1oser, is apparently very good at it and makes it sound so easy. I have had some experience about 2 years ago in Asia using a Sony Ice Cream'sandwich in a betting shop connecting to my server. I had to run a multiple regression program which involved clicking here and there and response time was slow. I got tired of resizing etc and became so frustrated after a few attempts I gave up.
For straight forward tasks like loading triggers and ladder betting it should be fine also to interact with Time Machine, if you haven't subscribed I'd highly recommend it. but I would be wary of modifying triggers especially formulas I'm sure it would be hard going at best.
Anyway give it a try, I'm sure you'll soon find out what works for you.
Good luck with it.

My grandma taught me not to run downstairs and never back odds on.

• Nerd
  • Élite
  • I think I could be on to something here!
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jul 2014, 10:47 »
I personally find it very easy. The critical thing is your internet connection speed and 3g is more than sufficient.

I have no need for sound as I don't bet interactively (triggers only).

At the moment I have a Samsung S5 and I am more that happy with the screen size. 90% of the time I connect to check that everything is still running fine .. I may start up the browse and check a loss here and there. but more often than not I resist the urge to fiddle with triggers on my mobile.
Fortune favors the brave!

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jul 2014, 12:06 »
Having second thoughts about the Acer Fonepad. It does seem quite bulky to carry especially if you go out wearing a T shirt and jeans. One would need to buy upper body clothes with decent sized pockets as it is quite large. I also feel Samsung 5 is a bit on the small side. I have the old Samsung 1 version and find that too small. Maybe there is one that is somewhere in the middle in terms of size.
It all depends what one is comfortable with and worth a good think before buying as they are not cheap :)
R
My grandma taught me not to run downstairs and never back odds on.

• All members
« Reply #8 on: 08 Jul 2014, 11:06 »
Thanks both.  I've ordered my Asus Fonepad and I'll let you know how I get on.  I'm just going to monitor via betfair to begin with before I decide whether to go for the VPS.
Thanks again.
O

• Élite
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jul 2014, 12:15 »
I tried to use a VPS but after several weeks of the provider assuring me it was a UK IP address and Betfair disagreeing I finally gave up and got my money back.

From memory, Betfair were using one checking site and saying it was not UK and the provider were referring me to another that said it was.

Anyway as betfair would nevey enable me to log in it was useless to me.  Others obviously have different experiences, but just a warning in case you find it not straight forward.

• All members
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jul 2014, 12:43 »
And additionally, is it worth paying an additional monthly fee for a VPS and see if we can still gain profit?
Gambling is a lifestyle.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE