Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Roccobarocco on 07 Jan 2014
  • To the MFP Development Team

Is a Mac version of MFP planned for the near future?

If not, what are the main reasons?

Regards
    RB

• #2 by Tim (WellDoneSoft) on 07 Jan 2014
  • Unfortunately not.
    It's programmed with too archaic programming language.
    We have to rewrite everything from scratch for Mac.
    Sorry.
  • #3 by racepro on 08 Jan 2014
  • Hi Rocco,
    Do you mind me asking your reason for enquiring about a Mac version of MFP ?
    Is it because you already own a Mac ? or perhaps thinking of buying one ?
    I am led to believe that MFP should work on Windows OS installed on your Mac.
    Perhaps Tim can correct me if I am wrong on that.
    I had for some time entertained the idea of buying a Mac Mini mainly for the portability and also for the Mac experience. However Samsung has come up with a viable contender in Chromebox and could be the answer for some of us wanting a small footprint to run MFP exclusively.
    R
  • #4 by MarkV on 08 Jan 2014
  • Hi
    For info, there are several users who have successfully got MarketFeeder running on a Mac using Parallels and a Windows licence, though I do not think that this setup will be supported.

Chromebox runs the Chrome Operating System - a Google variant of Linux. Windows applications will not run natively on it. You can install Windows as a Virtual Machine on Chrome OS, but I would think performance will not be good, and again unsure about whether this would be supported.

The Chromebox would be a nifty little machine to connect to a VPS.
  • #5 by Tim (WellDoneSoft) on 08 Jan 2014
    do not think that this setup will be supported
    Why not? It's run under Windows natively.
  • #6 by MarkV on 08 Jan 2014
  • Hi Tim
    That's good news. Thanks.
  • #7 by Roccobarocco on 08 Jan 2014
  • Racepro

Actually, I have always used MFP on Macs - I own an iMac and a Macbook Pro.  Never had issues.  I haven't owned a PC for the past seven years.  However, it is sometimes a hassle to operate two operating systems from one computer as a lot of the computer's resources are doubled-up and/or wasted.  And you as a user need to "maintain" two computers instead of one.

I can't understand why you say the Mac Mini is portable.  Anyway, if you get a Mac, whatever you get, and want to use MFP on Windows make sure you have 8 MB RAM.

Tim

I understand the issue with the re-writing of the code.  However, aren't you losing business by not offering the software natively on the Mac?  Macs are quite common nowadays and I guess some people might not want to pay for the additional Windows and Parallels licences.

Anyway, thanks to all for the feedback.
  • #8 by racepro on 08 Jan 2014
  • Rocco,
    When I said portable, I was alluding to the possibility of popping it into hand luggage
    when travelling as opposed to a desktop.
    Glad to hear you have had success with using the MFP on your Macs.
    I posted a question re Mac being suitable for MFP but reply was not very encouraging.
    I agree 8 GB Ram is essential. I use 4 GB now on a i7 Lenovo think Pad and it is struggling. However I also use it for browsing etc.
    Cheers
    R
  • #9 by Tim (WellDoneSoft) on 09 Jan 2014
  • Roccobarocco, yes, we understand. But not ready yet.
Pages:
Actions