Author Topic: Test Mode is Faulty.  (Read 2884 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Test Mode is Faulty.
« on: 30 Jun 2018, 09:54 »
So I've run more than a few test in "Test Mode" and it appears that bets are being matched by matching Back and Lay prices.

Only Oxa knows the answer to that one.

Anyways its a lousy way to match bets and leads to erroneous test results.

(How many times have you observed "last traded" was less than a test "back" bet and yet the bet remains unmatched!!)

A much nicer and more accurate way to match bets way would be to use

"Matched volumes by price"
          (Needs the option "download all traded volumes" ticked)

Hence if the matched volume has increased the bet would have been matched and Test mode would reflect the same.

This would also be an easy way to incorporate amounts/volumes into test mode too.

Thanks
mick and Dan

• Administrator
Re: Test Mode is Faulty.
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jun 2018, 10:15 »
Hello Mick and Dan.

First of all, thanks for your input.

The Test Mode is indeed not as accurate as real mode, and it was never intended to be that way. It is a quick-testing tool for roughly evaluating your strategies.

As I understand, you suggest an improvement to the way test bets are matched, i.e. they can be matched even if the current best price is worse than the one you offered.

So if you, say, backed at 5.1, and the current best back price is 5.0, you suggest looking at the volume matched at 5.1 and if it has increased by the amount that is equal or greater than your bet, then match your bet accordingly?
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jun 2018, 10:58 »
Hi,

(How many times have you observed "last traded" was less than a test "back" bet and yet the bet remains unmatched!!)

ALWAYS. If the last_traded is still under, then why would it match! 

Slowing down Test Mode to incorporate a few points traded here or there is not what Test Mode was designed for, especially when it is possible to do it with a trigger or two.

Test Mode is not faulty. Neither does it use a "lousy way" of settling bets. 

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jun 2018, 11:26 »
Hi,
ALWAYS. If the last_traded is still under, then why would it match!

Ah, I know what you mean. In play price gaps. It would be good but not at the expense of slowing down the Test Mode.

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 08 Jul 2018, 13:37 »
OXA gets it.
She understands the problem.
(even if Len doesn't)

If one is aware of the problem then one can make allowances, and use common sense when trying to gauge whether a new trigger might make it in the real exchange.

My problem was, we (Dan and I) were mucking around with greening triggers (you know the "Holy Grail" of triggers where everything is green all the time) and as test mode stands today we can't use it to test them. And to test in real mode is expensive and time consuming.

So any ambitions of building a greening trigger will have to wait until something better than the current version of test mode comes along.

Thanks
Mick and Dan.

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 08 Jul 2018, 21:23 »
Try Time Machine then with historical data to test your trigger.

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 09 Jul 2018, 06:24 »
Hello!

I have written down your suggestions. However, until they are realized in the software, you can test your strategy by force-matching your unmatched bets by pressing the button highlighted in the below screenshot:

Here is a video showing how to do this:

https://youtu.be/dYgt2YEWfJk
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE