Author Topic: Selecting markets  (Read 6166 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Selecting markets
« on: 29 Sep 2014, 01:37 »
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to use the markets i am using in an instance in another one.

Explaining better, when i use more than 1 instance of the time machine i have to select one by one the markets i want to use in the simulation in both instances.

I wonder if there are an easier way to select them, alowing me to use in the 2nd instance the markets i selected in the 1st one without having to select them one by one.

Thanks,

:) :)

• Administrator
Re: Selecting markets
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2014, 07:56 »
Hello,

The markets you added to My Markets are stored in the following folder.

c:\Users\%username%\MarketFeeder Pro 7\profiles\%profile name1%\events

Therefore, just copy this folder in your other settings profile.

c:\Users\%username%\MarketFeeder Pro 7\profiles\%profile name2%\events
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 30 Sep 2014, 04:38 »
Hi,

Thanks i will try to do it and if i have any difficulty i will report it.

By the way i noticed that when i open 7 or more instances at the same time it opens an error message saying "Unable to start the logging system. Please change the logger port number in your settings and restart MF pro" as in attachment. I click in the ok botton and it opens the instance normally. Should i do anything? Or as that instance seems to work normally i can act as something not mandatory? The maximum that i opened and used at the same time were 8.

I wonder if there are a limit in the number of instances i can use at the same time in a PC or if the limitation is just the capacity of the PC (CPU and Ram memory mainly).

I also notice that without internet i can´t run the simulations. Am i making any requests to the betfair´s API while running the simulations? And if yes, can i overpass the maximum number of 20 requests per second and therefore have to pay data fees? I always have several instances running at the same time simulations.

Thanks,

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 30 Sep 2014, 16:43 »
By the way i noticed that when i open 7 or more instances at the same time

Quite a bad start already. Remember the request limit imposed by BetFair. By opening 7 instances simultaneously, you should set the Connection Monitor in each to limit the number of requests to 20/7 = 2 per second! There is no way the software can do anything useful with that limit, therefore you're well above the limit if you're refreshing at least one market in each.

it opens an error message saying "Unable to start the logging system. Please change the logger port number in your settings and restart MF pro" as in attachment. I click in the ok botton and it opens the instance normally. Should i do anything? Or as that instance seems to work normally i can act as something not mandatory?
This error message indicates that the program can't record your logs. If you don't need them, you shouldn't worry about it, but if you do, I don't think that changing the port will improve the situation, as it is clearly related to too many instances of MF Pro opened at the same time. Not sure, maybe your system is somehow configured to prevent too many servers (MF Pro log server) started at the same time.

I wonder if there are a limit in the number of instances i can use at the same time in a PC or if the limitation is just the capacity of the PC (CPU and Ram memory mainly).
There is no limit in MF Pro, but just try opening 7 instances of Internet Explorer, each having several Betfair market pages refreshed, and measure your CPU load.

I also notice that without internet i can´t run the simulations. Am i making any requests to the betfair´s API while running the simulations?

When I got to this point, I actually realised you were talking about running MF Pro in Time Machine mode. OK, then forget about the BF request limit, it is irrelevant in this case, but the program still needs the Internet to connect to Betfair to request their authorization to use the API. Time Machine is operating under the BetFair historical licence, so they are still interested in who is using their data. That's why you won't be able to log in if you're offline.

But if you're running MF Pro in Time Machine mode, please bear in mind the load on your CPU is much heavier than when the program is operating in real time mode, because a database and a DB server are involved in getting the prices, and additional effort is made to decrypt the data on the fly and convert them into a readable format.

I hardly can run three Time Machines on my PC at the same time, and even then the fastest mode is missing a lot of refreshes because the CPU just can't cope.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 30 Sep 2014, 17:35 »

I hardly can run three Time Machines on my PC at the same time, and even then the fastest mode is missing a lot of refreshes because the CPU just can't cope.

I am running the simulations in an intel i7 860 2.80GHz with 16 Gb of ram. When i use 7 or 8 instances i noticed that the CPU load achives 97 or 98% but i never saw it arriving to 100%. The simulations seem to be working well discounting the 1st minut when usually i receive the error message "Request #14 could not be processed, MF Pro ran out of available threads. Consider reducing the number of refreshing markets or increasing the number of allowed threads in "Monitoring Options".".

Do you mean that when several instances are openned the test may not be as accurate as it would be if that number was lower? If yes, as the CPU load doesn´t arrive to 100% can even so the accuracy of the results be compromised? In this case, what number of instances would you recommend me to use at the same time without compromising the accuracy of the results?

Thanks,

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 30 Sep 2014, 17:51 »
discounting the 1st minut when usually i receive the error message "Request #14 could not be processed, MF Pro ran out of available threads. Consider reducing the number of refreshing markets or increasing the number of allowed threads in "Monitoring Options".".
I wouldn't ignore this message if I were you. There is a limit on the number of threads your operating system can accommodate for applications, and obviously it is being reached. A thread is a separate process that applications launch for doing something slow and/or requiring lots of calculations. Another signal of your computer not coping with the number of MF Pro copies running. It's not like running 7 instances of Notepad or Calculator you know.

Do you mean that when several instances are openned the test may not be as accurate as it would be if that number was lower?
Yes and no, it depends on what your refresh rate is and whether it is important for you to keep it high enough.
Imagine betting on the BetFair web site manually. You opened several markets in separate tabs and switch between them every 10-15 seconds to keep an eye on the prices. But at the same time, you get a call from an old friend, then a neighbour comes to borrow some salt, then you remember about a cold cup of tea and rush to the kitchen etc. etc. Try to think of the number of times you'll forget or won't be able to refresh those markets.

This is somewhat similar to what happens in MF Pro when the CPU is busy and cannot give it its full attention and resources. If your strategy does not depend on the high refresh of markets, i.e. if you bet is depending on certain fixed criteria, like the number of runners, then you'll be fine. Otherwise you need to either run Time Machine in normal speed (which takes away one of its greatest advantages) or you need to reduce the load.

But let me warn you against going and buying a new computer! It is not only about the CPU, it is also about the speed of interaction with your hard drive, as, like I said above, all the prices are being read from a database on your disk, and when you're running 7 instances, it means they have to share the same database file all at the same time.

In other words, the capabilities of MF Pro and your computer are finite. Find out the optimal load empirically.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• All members
« Reply #6 on: 30 Sep 2014, 18:45 »

In other words, the capabilities of MF Pro and your computer are finite. Find out the optimal load empirically.

As i told you empirically it seemed to be working well. As probably it isn´t is there anyway to know if all the supposed refresh are being made?

I was thinking that for example: in the program log one can see the number of times a trigger is refreshed each second. Knowing that in horse racing before the inplay the refresh limit of the base is one per second (saved once per second) and the refresh rate of my trigger is 0.3 seconds. If for example the fast speed is 20 times the normal one, should the program log shows 20 refresh each second to allowed me to conclude that it is working as it should?

If yes can you tell me what´s the ratio of the the fast forward speed in relation to the normal one.

Thanks,

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2014, 21:23 »
The fastest possible is 15 times as fast as normal.

Yes, you would expect 15/0.3 = 50 log records per second for a market that is refreshed at a rate of 0.3 sec.

But in reality that could be much less even if only one instance is running.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• All members
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2014, 21:57 »
You r right, i understood where´s the failure in my reasoning. It´s 15/0.3 not 15/1.

Anyway, can i use the number of refresh in the program log with 1 instance as the standard number? I mean, can i use that number to regulate the number of instances i can open maintaining the accuracy of the Time machine?

I.e assuming that the number is 10 refresh per second can i assume that the last opened instance is not loading too much the PC as long the refresh rate continues being those same 10 refresh per second? Is that a reasonable way of measuring the efect of a new instance in the performance and accuracy of the time machine?

Thanks,

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE