Author Topic: back on momentum  (Read 10858 times)

Tags:
  • All members
back on momentum
« on: 11 Sep 2013, 08:14 »
hi,

can someone please help me with a trigger to do the following for an
event with two teams (except football).
1) note odds for both teams when match turns in-play.
2) when first team whose odds drop by x ticks place a back bet.
3) place a lay bet at x ticks lower on same team.
4) if matched, immediately place a back bet on same team and repeat step 3.
at the same time monitor odds for the other team and place a back bet when
odds drop by x ticks and follow same procedure as outlined above.
 The reasoning is, betting only takes place on teams that are on the momentum.
thanks if anyone can help
R
My grandma taught me not to run downstairs and never back odds on.

Re: back on momentum
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2013, 10:27 »
Hi
According to your request, and also your PM description shown below:
1.75 place back bet, place lay bet at 1.70
1.70 above lay bet is matched, wait for back odds to drop 5 ticks
1.63 place back bet and place lay bet at 1.58 (5 ticks lower)
1.57 lay bet matched and wait again for odds to drop 5 ticks.
1.63 odds drop by at least 5 ticks back and lay and keep repeating the process.
The back odds needs to drop say 5 ticks even if the odds drift out to say 3.20
and come into 3.15. As long as there are no unmatched bets.

No action to be taken if an unmatched back bet position goes against you.

Please see attached trigger file. It is a basic framework for the above, and you can add your own conditions to improve it.
In testing, I noticed it might be a good idea to include a maximum back price for the entry bet.
Also to include a condition for the gap between back and lay price for the entry bet.

You can run it just before the start of an event, or anytime in-play.

Please use test mode to try it out.  
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 18 Sep 2013, 13:04 »
Great, thanks Mark,

I will test it out
R

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2013, 16:07 »
I was wanting to use this and take it for Horse Racing.

My point would be to have it so it only worked on the first 3 favourites in the betting and it worked by:

1. Takes the last traded price for each of the selections and remembers it, not sure if saving them in a temporary list at the off is best (when/just as the market turns in-play).
2. Backs any of the first 3 favourite selections if the price drops by 3 or a predetermined number of ticks (variable) then lays/greens up 2 ticks or a predetermined number of ticks lower (variable).
3. Once the green up has happened, and as long as the market has not been in-play for longer than a minute it repeats (logs current price of those 3 horses - only the 3 favourites at the off again at the new price, then looks to see if price drops by 3 ticks...works its magic)
4. It can trade all 3 of them individually/at the same time, if the criteria makes the selection(s) eligable.
5. The trigger should only run for up to 1 minute after going in-play (the minimum time it takes to run a race - 5f). If there is a way to change this to adapt to the length of the race then that would be brilliant!

Might be worth having a variable which allows you to determine how many times per selection you want the trigger to fire, eg. you only want to do 1 trade per horse.

I only want to trade the first 3 favourites determined at the off, at any point in a race.

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2013, 17:01 »
Mark,
It is functioning ok apart from it not backing if an opponent lay bet is unmatched.
Both players/teams should work independent of each other.
eg: if Player A has an unmatched bet and player B shortens in price
by 5 ticks it should place a back bet on Player B as well as place a Lay bet at 5 ticks lower.
I watched a couple of matches and it didn't do that.
If you could have a look
Thanks
R

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2013, 20:37 »
Hi
Attached are 2 trigger files for trying in test mode:
v2 = edit to the last. The two selections operate independently, but ALL unmatched bets on BOTH selections must be matched for the cycle to repeat.

v3 = a re-write into 2 repeating trigger blocks, 1 for each selection, which operate totally independently of each other. For this one, we need a mechanism for resetting the reference point to measure the qualifying 5 tick drop in price. I need you to tell me how you want to do it. e.g. if no bet in the last 5 minutes, reset reference point, or if back price has risen x ticks from previous reference point, reset reference point. Let me know.
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2013, 20:51 »
I was wanting to use this and take it for Horse Racing.

My point would be to have it so it only worked on the first 3 favourites in the betting and it worked by:

1. Takes the last traded price for each of the selections and remembers it, not sure if saving them in a temporary list at the off is best (when/just as the market turns in-play).
2. Backs any of the first 3 favourite selections if the price drops by 3 or a predetermined number of ticks (variable) then lays/greens up 2 ticks or a predetermined number of ticks lower (variable).
3. Once the green up has happened, and as long as the market has not been in-play for longer than a minute it repeats (logs current price of those 3 horses - only the 3 favourites at the off again at the new price, then looks to see if price drops by 3 ticks...works its magic)
4. It can trade all 3 of them individually/at the same time, if the criteria makes the selection(s) eligable.
5. The trigger should only run for up to 1 minute after going in-play (the minimum time it takes to run a race - 5f). If there is a way to change this to adapt to the length of the race then that would be brilliant!

Might be worth having a variable which allows you to determine how many times per selection you want the trigger to fire, eg. you only want to do 1 trade per horse.

I only want to trade the first 3 favourites determined at the off, at any point in a race.
Hi 3daydealer
Not sure if you are requesting a trigger to be written for this, or you are commenting. If you are asking for a trigger, please could you open another topic - you can paste this post in if you like.
cheers

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 18 Sep 2013, 22:44 »
Hi Mark,
Thanks for your triggers, I will look at them more closely in the morning.
As regards your reference point question, I can only say that
the idea I had in mind was to back at any point where the odds
dropped say 5 ticks, so in my head it was a floating reference point
if it can be described that way.
The bet would only be placed if no unmatched lay bet for that particular
player/team was present. Version 3 you sent is the more appropriate in that
the players/teams are bet independently.
Hopefully that is understood. Now the question remains can it be done
that way ? If not it will be back to your question of establishing a fixed
reference point.
I may be expecting the impossible.
Thanks
R

« Reply #8 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:31 »
Hi
I think what you are asking for is a trailing entry.
Make the back bet IF
there are no unmatched bets on the selection
and the selection's price falls 5 ticks from the most recent high

Am I right?

• All members
« Reply #9 on: 19 Sep 2013, 07:57 »
Hi Mark,
Yes exactly what I want.
Thanks
R

« Reply #10 on: 19 Sep 2013, 12:41 »
Hi
Please try the attached trigger file in test mode.
It will make the entry bet when the back price drops x ticks off the maximum recorded back price for that cycle.
The maximum recorded price is reset at the start of each cycle.
You can view the max back price being updated in the view variables window: use mbp_1 and mbp_2

For 2 selection Win events
It works only in-play, and you can start it anytime during the event, so long as you have reasonable prices available.

Early observations during testing indicate you may need to address:
Gaps in the prices
Distributing loss on unmatched lay bets.

Have a play and let me know if you need anything changing.

• All members
« Reply #11 on: 19 Sep 2013, 12:47 »
Thanks Mark,
I will try it today and get back to you hopefully tomorrow.
R

• All members
« Reply #12 on: 19 Sep 2013, 18:39 »
Hi Mark,

I can see the backing trigger stops when it should be betting.
The log files show the message:
The trigger has already been executed once per each qualifying selection.
but no bet was placed on the player without an unmatched bet and had qualified for drop of five ticks. I looked at the correct trigger logs for backing as the player mentioned qualified all for rules.

I have no idea what the below means, can you please enlighten thanks
You can view the max back price being updated in the view variables window: use mbp_1 and mbp_2

Thanks
R

« Reply #13 on: 19 Sep 2013, 19:18 »
Hi
As far as I can tell, the trigger is functioning correctly, placing trades on each selection, only when there are no unmatched bets on that selection.
In the attached screenshot you can see profitable multiple trades on both selections.
You can also see an example of an unmatched green-up with the price moving against (arrowed in black). In this situation, it will not place a further back bet on that selection, until the unmatched lay bet is matched or cancelled. Trading on the other selection continues as normal. I think I mentioned earlier the need to address unmatched lay bets, and this is a good example. How would you want to deal with this situation?

Your other question is also shown in the screenshot, highlighted in red. You can view the value of any variable here. In this case it is showing the high back price for each selection during the current cycle.

For the purposes of the screenshot, I have reduced the green-up and qualifying ticks to 2 from 5.

If I am missing something regarding the trigger not betting please let me know a bit more detail.

• All members
« Reply #14 on: 20 Sep 2013, 09:17 »
Hi Mark,

I have tested also and it appears to be working okay. The error I reported was an isolated case and not sure what the reason was.
As regards your question re trading unmatched lay bets.
I was originally expecting to place the same bet amount on both back and lay, as opposed to green up.
The net effect would mean, at 5 ticks profit I would need 20 successful trades (back & Lay) to account for one losing bet amount.
I propose the following change. In the greenup1&2 triggers
'lay Price rticks(bm_backp,-5)  amount 5.00'    (-5 means 5 ticks)     or
'lay Price rticks(bm_backp,-gt) amount 5.00'
assuming 5.00 unit bets.
Would that work? 
Thanks
R

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE