Author Topic: Bias hedging anyone?  (Read 4023 times)

Tags:
  • Élite
  • head always buried in stats
Bias hedging anyone?
« on: 12 Jun 2014, 04:02 »
Hi Guys 

Having been using a hedging technique to make profits mainly on horse racing for around 4 years, i have just discovered that by having a "Bias" on the hedge ( only if my pilot matched bet has an advantage over the hedge price) will significantly add to my profit. I always take the hedge at SP by the way.

However the distribute profit/ loss triggers seem to spread the profit/loss evenly across all the selections, is there a way to slope the hedge based on the current price versus the earlier matched price? Clearly as we are taking SP and we do not know what this is going to be so there is some guesswork involved. But any large inaccuracies   could be further hedged then in play.

Maybe a "formula" in the amount box of the actual trigger would do the job?  ::)
This time next year, we will all be paying Betfair premium charge commission rates!

Re: Bias hedging anyone?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2014, 19:39 »
Hi betfair winner
What you want is this example trigger http://marketfeeder.co.uk/solutions/green-up-hedge/greenup-unequal-profit/

I made a small mod and you can see the result in the screenshot.
The bias (unequal greenup) is set as 90% on the selection remaining 10% spread across other selections. You can change this in the constants.

I modified the lay first back to hedge trigger so the hedge back bet goes in at a price of 1000 persistence set to Take SP. If you want to back first and hedge with a lay bet you can change the appropriate trigger to lay at 1.01 and Take SP.

Please try it out in test mode or time machine.
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Élite
  • head always buried in stats
« Reply #2 on: 14 Jun 2014, 09:09 »
Great Work Mark V
You are a legend as ever.....
will do a test and come back to you
BRILLIANT !
This time next year, we will all be paying Betfair premium charge commission rates!

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2014, 18:26 »
hi Mark,
I've been tinkering around with the unequal profit trigger with limited success in fact I abandoned it. I'd like to follow through on this thread if I may.
The attached link shows 50% in the constants not 10% as reported, am I missing something?
The lay and back works without any errors although I am still not sure about the percentages.
I tried to set to back and lay by modifying the formula as below:
bm_backa*(1 + P*bm_backp - P)/(1 + P*lay_price - P) which is the converse of the
lay to back one however I get price or amount  log errors.
Can you please put me right
many thanks
My grandma taught me not to run downstairs and never back odds on.

« Reply #4 on: 15 Jun 2014, 19:03 »
Hello racepro
In the example trigger file (and the one I attached earlier) there are 2x trigger blocks.
one for backing and greening
one for laying and greening
only one of these should be enabled.

The constant pr_profit is the percentage of profit you want on the selection you are trading on. The balance of the profit will be spread evenly across all other selections.

You are correct, in the native example trigger the percentage on the selection being traded (pr_profit) is set to 50%. I have changed this constant to 90, and enabled the back and green block. The result is in the screenshot. 90% profit on the traded selection, remaining 10% on all other selections. No need to change any formulas, just the constant.

For info in the attached file above in the lay and green block, I changed a few small things so the greenup (hedge) is done by taking SP.
Hope this helps.
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 15 Jun 2014, 19:35 »
Hi Mark,
Perhaps that is where I went wrong, I had both the Back and Lay and the Lay and Back enabled.
Could I use two coefficient triggers so I can enable both ?
R

• All members
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jun 2014, 05:57 »
Hi,
I have tried adding a second coefficient action and it worked :)
meaning no errors in logs and bets were placed.
learning all the time
R

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jun 2014, 15:34 »
Fantastic! I hope, someday, I could be on the same level with you guys. Still learning as fast as I can here.
Gambling is a lifestyle.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE