Author Topic: False Positive - Avast Antivirus  (Read 6784 times)

Tags:
  • All members
False Positive - Avast Antivirus
« on: 20 Mar 2013, 14:56 »
I use Avast antivirus and, yesterday and today, the software stopped my MFP as I tried to open the trigger editor to amend a trigger which was loaded. I had the opportunity of reporting this as a "false positive" but wanted to give Support an opportunity to comment first.

Every time it happens I am forced to restart MFP. My experimentation with triggers is effectively at an end for the time being. I use Avast because I cannot abide Norton  or McAfee, and AVG has been amended lately so as to be a complete nuisance.

• All members
Re: False Positive - Avast Antivirus
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2013, 15:05 »
I'm sorry but it has just dawned on me that I had some difficulty in opening the trigger editor yesterday and this is  also the case today. Either it doesn't open or, if it does, Avast chimes in and stops it working.

• Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2013, 16:55 »
Do you have any "comments" from Avast? I mean how does it describe the closing of MF?
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2013, 17:04 »
It says that there is a suspicious dll file and it takes action to remove the path to that file by placing it in its virus vault. When it does this the trigger editor can no longer function. I've been messing about with Avast for the last couple of hours to see if I could prevent it from stopping the editor but I've had no success.

I've uninstalled Avast now and did not alert them to the false positive. I'm going back to AVG again now in the hope that it will allow me use MFP fully.  I had removed AVG a few months ago as it was preventing the easy operation of some programs. All anti-virus programs try to control every aspect of the machine. Norton is a dreadful nuisance and I have three versions of it given to me free which remain unopened in their wrappers.

MFP is now working properly following the removal of Avast.

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2013, 17:22 »
I have installed AVG and at the moment the trigger editor is functioning. The offending Avast is the latest upgrade, Avast 8. AVG have a new version for 2013 and I'm hoping it's not as intrusive as its predecessors were.

So, the answer for other users is - get rid of Avast 8 and get AVG instead, at least for now.

• Élite
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2013, 18:01 »
hi nigelbleddfa1
i use avast.
all you have to do is go through ALL the shields and add mfp and the editor to the exclusions .
all works ok after

mcbee
Please read the following  disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2013, 18:22 »
Thanks, mcbee. The Avast menu has changed radically from the one I am used to. I worked for about an hour and tried to find a way of excluding the editor but failed. I've installed AVG now but will work harder to exclude the editor if I should ever use Avast again.

• Élite
« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2013, 19:06 »
hi
they have made a cock up of the new layout .
the shields are in with the scan now, but every time you want to look at a shield or choose a scan type. it auto starts the quick scan, so you have to stop it and choose what you want to do.

mcbee
Please read the following  disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2013, 19:14 »
I use Bullguard, which is either free or cheap.  It's a comprehensive internet security suite and simply asks when it encounters a new program if you want to proceed and want the program to remember your decision.  Some common programs are automatically allowed access to the internet. 

• All members
« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2013, 19:38 »
hi
they have made a cock up of the new layout .
the shields are in with the scan now, but every time you want to look at a shield or choose a scan type. it auto starts the quick scan, so you have to stop it and choose what you want to do.

mcbee

I never thought that they would be located there so it's understandable that I didn't find them. Rubold has recommended Bullguard but when I used it I thought it was very intrusive and it always nagged me to upgrade.

Everything is working now, thanks.

• All members
« Reply #10 on: 21 Mar 2013, 00:32 »
I had exactly the same problem with Avast Free on the same day. (I've advised Avast of the false positive.)

However, I fixed the problem in Avast Free by finding the "Virus Chest" which stored the false positive..."restored" the false offending MFP file and then deleted it from the list in the Virus Chest.

No problems since then.

I love Avast...it does an effective job and is free.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE