Author Topic: horse racing database  (Read 9460 times)

Tags:
  • All members
horse racing database
« on: 05 Jan 2015, 19:06 »
Hi,
I'm looking around for a comprehensive horse racing database where I can update daily and download to Excel in csv format or similar.
Some can be quite expensive as in the case of Raceform Interactive which I believe is the Rolls Royce of horse race data.
Any help much appreciated
R
My grandma taught me not to run downstairs and never back odds on.

• All members
Re: horse racing database
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jan 2015, 21:41 »
Racepro,

Over the years I have tried Proform, Raceform, etc and for value for money I have found Simple Software/Racing Sense the best.

Just checked it is still £9.99 a month for the updates.

It really is a horses for courses decision though.

Mick Johnson is a real gentleman and it is a pleasure to deal with him.

It is an access database with most of the data you need going back to 1994 and is updated by daily emails.

The speed ratings can be useful and every so often gives you a big priced winner. Like everything takes time to get the best from it.

You can export data in csv or spend some time setting it up to to export to another personal database with other data you may collect. At the time I used Mysql for my personal database and PHP to manipulate the data, as well as as Libre Office Calc for spreadsheet work.

Currently I am obsessed with a mathematical approach to trading, but now I have been forced to purchase MS Office2013 and use Win8.1, Linux is my preferred OS, I have considered re-subscribing and merging in some of my earlier work.

Hope this helps,

catwizud

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 06 Jan 2015, 00:08 »
Catwizud,
Thanks for the link and your experiences with other databases. The Simple software at 10 quid a month for data updates is pocket friendly for sure. I looked at the Raceform site and it is still showing 2014 packages. I haven't yet figured out how much they charge per month for their data. I used to deal with the founder John Whitley when he had his Computer Form Book back in the mid eighties. He seems to have come a long way since then.
I'll take a close look at the Simple RaceSense software
Thanks again
R

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 06 Jan 2015, 21:16 »
racepro,

Just in case you did not pick up on it you can download SSR132 for free to see whether it is suitable for you purposes.

If you need some DB tools I can point you in the direction of some excellent free ones.

For some jobs you can then bypass the SSR132 front-end and read the database files directly.

This also allows you to import into excel, etc. without the need for csv files.

If you get stuck just let me know.

catwizud

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 06 Jan 2015, 22:33 »
catwizud,  the installing of SSR132 has gone into the too hard basket for now as it throws up an access violation error re  expsrv.dll
I suppose this takes tech savvy and patience to sort out neither of which I have at the moment.
R

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 07 Jan 2015, 06:02 »
catwizud, I have emailed Mick for help on the installation error..
Can you tell me if call positions are included with the data ?
ie:  positions in running at set distance markers.... say 8F 4F  3F 2F  etc.
Thanks
R

• All members
« Reply #6 on: 07 Jan 2015, 07:46 »
racepro,

As far as I am aware it has no in-running data, just race declarations, speed ratings, jockey, trainer, owner, etc.

The main database has historical records going back to 1994.

At the time I was analysing favourites and wanted as close as I could get to a real-time race by race results tracking system for the longest winning and losing runs, so I was taking the decs/speed ratings and moving them into MySQL and using PHP in a web browser as a front-end to add and manipulate data.

I was doing this before Betfair, remember when your office was in the bookies. Somebody on their help line was surprised when they saw my joining date.

Any way, enough reminiscing, I have only run SSR132 on win98 and XP, it currently sits in an XP virtual machine . At some stage it might get moved to Win8.1 proper.

Mick got me through my problems so you are in good hands.

catwizud

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 07 Jan 2015, 09:24 »
Thanks catwizud, I shall persevere.
If anyone else knows of data with call positions at different stages of a race I'd be grateful if you could share.
Thanks
R

• All members
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jan 2015, 15:04 »
catwizud, I finally downloaded the program, but seems very primitive. I cannot understand how it works. I was after a database where I could set a number of parameters and test data
over a year or so. I have tried Horseracebase once http://www.horseracebase.com/
I recall it being okay for testing various simple variables like jockey track dist etc but nowadays one needs extra data as the market is efficient. The only other way is to generate coefficients that produce minimum break even results then use intuitive handicapping ie: paddock watching, late breaking info etc. to hopefully gain a slight edge.
If you or others have any other thoughts it would add value to the thread
Thanks
R

• All members
« Reply #9 on: 08 Jan 2015, 00:35 »
Racepro,

sorry if I misunderstood.

Sounds like Proform Racing is what you need.

As I said I merged SSR132 data + ratings with my own exclusively sourced data for a specific purpose, unfortunately this data is no longer available.

I also ran Proform Racing along side this and have to admit it is easy to use and if cost is no problem I consider it one of the best about. It has in-running data, which may be what you want.

However I got more from my 'Heath Robinson' set-up, which did exactly what I wanted at the time for a fraction of the price.

I would be interested in knowing your final choice is.

catwizud

• All members
« Reply #10 on: 08 Jan 2015, 09:14 »
Hi catwizud,
Thanks again, I will try Proform, I did look at it briefly a week or so ago.
Seems like no one else has anything to contribute.
I'll come back to you once I evaluate the software.
Cheers
R

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE