Author Topic: Individual selection profit loss  (Read 1376 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Individual selection profit loss
« on: 14 Nov 2020, 22:35 »
Hi all,

I'm not sure if I'm going to make sense here, or I'm getting confused, but I'll go for it anyway...

What is the best way to retrieve the theoretical 'profit / loss' figure that an individual selection has generated?

For example, let's assume we have the below matched bets on football:

Team 1
£10 back bet @ 3.85
£10.13 lay bet @ 3.80

Team 2
£10 back bet @ 2.3

Draw
No bets

So if I'm understanding correctly, Team 1 has in theory generated ~13p of profit from those bets.

Because of the back bet on Team 2 though, the profit_loss variable for Team 1 will now be ~ -£9.87  (I believe). And other variables such as tradeout_pl and tradeout_net will be zero for Team 1 as there's nothing to trade out.

So how do I retrieve that individual value of 13p for Team 1? Is there another variable I've missed, or does it have to be calculated manually? Or am I talking rubbish?

Many thanks.

Re: Individual selection profit loss
« Reply #1 on: 15 Nov 2020, 09:53 »
Hi
That will be selections lay matched minus back matched
s_1_lay_matched - s_1_back_matched for your example
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 15 Nov 2020, 18:01 »
Hi Mark

Thanks for the response. 

In this case, yes that formula would work out the profit for selection 1.

I'm looking for a consistent variable / formula though to monitor each selections 'performance'.

If another £10 back bet was then matched at 3.85, with the view to make another 1 tick trade, that formula would show -£9.87, which doesn't really accurately represent that selections 'performance' as it could be in a good position to make another 1 tick trade.

In the above case with another £10 back matched at 3.85 it would then be nice to retrieve the tradeout figure which would give a good representation of its performance. 

Am I making sense?

Maybe the answer is that no consistent variable as such exists and I need to incorporate an IF statement. IF back_payout = lay_payout THEN use the formula you suggested, but IF the payout variables are not roughly equal then retrieve the tradeout figure instead.

Many thanks.

« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2020, 20:58 »
Hi
I think you will need to set a user variable individually per selection repetitively.
I had a play in engineer mode. Seems to work well. You can see the formula used in the tooltip in the screenshot which you can modify if you need to.    
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2020, 18:49 »
That looks perfect thanks Mark, much appreciated.

Out of interest, possibly daft question but can I just ask where the 5p figure comes from? I did wonder what value I'd use for that and was initially thinking something along the lines of ((back_payout - lay_payout) / 'current price') being greater than 2, with that being the minimum bet. Is 5p a standard known value, or just an educated choice?

Many thanks.

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2020, 19:18 »
can I just ask where the 5p figure comes from?
Several green up example triggers use 0.05 or 0.10 in a similar condition, makes sense as it is not going to be exact.
Possibly experiment to see what figure works best for you.

• All members
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2020, 20:25 »
Thanks Mark.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE