Author Topic: Interpreting the timestamp  (Read 4527 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Interpreting the timestamp
« on: 06 May 2013, 09:35 »
Hello all

Can anyone help me understand the timestamp better.

I'm testing triggering on more than one selection on a given market.  I'm trying four selections at the moment. I've got refresh rate set to 1 sec.

The timestamp itself is turning over every 3 secs approximately (as opposed to 1 sec approximately when I was triggering just one selection).  Consistent with that, there is an approximate 3 sec delay between my trigger log recording "going to back..." before the bet is actually placed. 

The figure in brackets next to the timestamp is consistently well below 1 sec, sometimes below 0.2 secs. 

What does the figure in brackets represent?  How can I reduce the 3 seconds - a more powerful PC I would guess?  I'm using a Dell Latitude D610 with a 1.73GHz Intel Pentium Processor and 1.5GB of RAM.

Thanks in advance.
O

• Administrator
Re: Interpreting the timestamp
« Reply #1 on: 06 May 2013, 09:53 »
The figure in brackets shows the time it took the program to connect to BetFair and download the market data. It can be greater than your refresh rate if:
a) your Internet connection is slow for some reason
b) the BetFair server is delaying the request (happens temporarily).

Open the Connection Monitor and check the average connection time figures.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2013, 10:14 »
But in this case the figure in brackets is much smaller than the refresh rate, which is what I couldn't understand and would be grateful for help with.

The market refresh rate is 2.8 secs on average, which obviously corrseponds to the 3 secs referred to in my earlier post.  My broadband is running at 20Mb/s so I'm not quite sure why the market refresh would be so slow when it is set to 1 sec, unless it is a Betfair action as you suggest.

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 May 2013, 10:25 »
Right, I was reading in the wrong place.

If you've got several markets all updated at the rate of 1 sec, the Connection Monitor could be limiting the number of requests sent to BetFair, so that would delay the refresh.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

« Reply #4 on: 06 May 2013, 10:27 »
Hi
3 secs sounds like the default setting for list of bets refresh. Does your trigger have conditions that refer to the list of bets e.g. back unmatched? Do you have multiple triggers which are similar but dependent on each other? They will wait for an updated list of bets.

Do you have this setting set?
Test Mode > Betting > Delay placing and cancelling Test bets by x seconds?
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 06 May 2013, 10:42 »
I've got only one market refreshing, but I did have four selections in that same market ticked for auto trading.

I've tried reducing the number of selections ticked for auto trading, and there is a clear correlation with the market refresh rate.

4 selections = 2.8 secs market refresh rate
3 = 2.1
2 = 1.5
1 = 0.9

Anything I can do to prevent the slowdown of market refresh when adding selections to trigger?

I am using conditions which refer to both the market and the list of bets.  I have the option to update list of bets simultaneously with the market checked.  I am using real mode rather than test mode.  I do have multiple similar triggers but they are not really dependent on each other - I've got one for each selection ID.

« Reply #6 on: 06 May 2013, 10:50 »
What is your overall request limit setting in connection monitor?
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 06 May 2013, 10:50 »
There can't be any connection between the number of selections active for auto-trading and the time it takes to refresh a market, unless:

a) You have turned this setting on: "Retrieve all price offers"
b) You use a particularly complex formula in your trigger that affects the time needed to process one selection. I'm talking about a formula comprising, say, 100 parentheses.

Otherwise the program makes exactly one call to BetFair to get the data for all selections in one market, regardless of whether the selection will be traded or not.

If you attach your settings file, I can take a further look at this problem.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• All members
« Reply #8 on: 06 May 2013, 11:16 »
Request limit is 20, which I assume is the default and therefore not the problem?

I think it might be your b) Oxa.  The underlying trigger is moderately complex, but I've had to duplicate it multiple times so that I can apply it to each selection ID.  It felt like a processing speed issue which is why I suspected my PC was the problem.  Response times for everything I do on the PC are well down when I increase the selections active for auto trading.

I've not got "retrieve all price offers" on.

How do I attach my settings file?

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2013, 11:39 »
How do I attach my settings file?
You better attach your trigger file then.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE