Author Topic: my worst nightmare....... but could it also be yours?  (Read 16788 times)

Tags:
  • Élite
  • head always buried in stats
I am running a set of lay triggers and hedging just before the "off" in horse racing.
Having an exposure of over £3000 yesterday imagine my disappointment when suddenly all internet connection failed 10 minutes before the first race.  My back up neighbour who uses an alternative server also had failed, and my second back up a local internet cafe also had lost all power and no internet! ???  Having driven 8 miles, I found a willing friend to let me use their connection but not before I had lost with an un hedged lay bet.  :P
 I guess it could have been much worse but anyone out there has any contact details for a remote server that can operate the platform if a connection is lost?
How you get the platform to start working though if you have no internet is another mystery.
Any help much appreciated
 :)
This time next year, we will all be paying Betfair premium charge commission rates!

• Administrator
Re: my worst nightmare....... but could it also be yours!
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2010, 11:04 »
That's tough!

We're going to start offering VPS with MF Pro installed and full support including instllation and configuration. So you might find a temporary solution until then.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• Élite
« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2010, 11:05 »
hi
the simple answer is, have a mobile internet backup they very rare go down, so if the normal internet goes down plug the mobile internet in and away you go.
i use this with my laptop because many time the internet or electric fails.

mcbee
Please read the following  disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Élite
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2010, 13:44 »
Hi Mcbee

Thanks for the advice and the suggestion of a mobile internet (dongle) facility.
Where i live in Spain this service is notoriously slow and very unreliable. Often it is compromised by bad weather such as heavy rain and electrical activity. Indeed the reason for the general failure here yesterday was a lightning strike on the tower providing the numerous services to our area. The cost of the dongle here such as it is is around the £65 per month mark for something up to the job however even these yesterday were not getting a signal.

The VPS idea seems like a longer term solution however  I have very little idea or understanding of the capabilities or potential or cost of such a facility.  But it sounds like a good insurance policy.

Any more detail on this and how it could work would be helpful. ;D
This time next year, we will all be paying Betfair premium charge commission rates!

• Nerd
  • Élite
  • I think I could be on to something here!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2010, 17:40 »
www.webhostingtalk.com

Look at the offers section ... there's a dedicated offers section there. Of course do a little research before committing to a host.

At the £££ you are doing it's silly not to be on a dedicated already. I am running at a fraction of your laibility and already running windows 2003 server and just RDP to change anything. Also have monitoring on the server with sms notification, plus running two applications to monitor and restart MFPro in case of a crash or freeze.
Fortune favors the brave!

• Élite
Re: my worst nightmare....... but could it also be yours?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2010, 23:18 »
Hi 1oser
Great advice!
It seems that hosting is available from less than £12 per month for a basic set up.
I am looking into the various hosting options but perhaps you can tell me who is hosting yours at present, and if it serves your purpose?
Thanks again

• Élite
« Reply #6 on: 22 Aug 2010, 07:07 »
In the last 24 hours I have learnt quite a bit about VPS. But like many people there are often too many abbreviations for modern technology which can leave individuals bewildered as to what it is and why they need it, as well as confused about how or why it could help them.
In case (like me) you were born just after Television was invented, and found it hard to keep up with all the latest innovations and abbreviations like TRP, VRM, DRS, AND FMF; there is a useful link below which is entirely relevant to MF PRO in the video it relates to a forex trading platform with VPS (Virtual Private Server) Suddenly the mist is beginning to clear!
It is a sad fact that us oldies are treated as though we should somehow instantly know what 30 year olds are referring to when we only recently learnt to send a text message! Have a little patience with us guys we may be slow on the uptake but some of us have a lot to offer when it comes to an approach to trading that can be profitable thanks to many years of painful experience!  :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoknXA8YWck

• Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 22 Aug 2010, 08:17 »
betfair winner please make sure the VPS server is not US or France based - BetFair is not accessible from these countries.
If you would like to try our VPS solution (it's on beta testing now) for free or have any questions regarding VPS technology - let [email protected] know.
Thanks
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

• Nerd
  • Élite
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2010, 11:27 »
try out the welldone soft vps .. and if it works .. then it's happiness.

• All members
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2010, 13:21 »
Unfortunatelly in the past i had the same issue and lost some money. Since then i always have a mobile internet connection backup that never lets me down and that i use it for many cases besides MF. Also while i am away i check my PC that is online running MF with TEAMVIEWER wich is an excellent remote control software that it has also a full working FREE edition.

• Élite
« Reply #10 on: 24 Aug 2010, 07:43 »
I hope I have not misunderstood you,  but I have sent 2 emails (1 sunday and 1 yesterday) for the trial as per your comment below and had no reply?

If you would like to try our VPS solution (it's on beta testing now) for free or have any questions regarding VPS technology - let [email protected] know.
Thanks

• Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 24 Aug 2010, 08:35 »
Sorry to everybody - your e-mails were put in spam somehow.
Answering them right now.
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

• Élite
« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2010, 18:46 »
Hi Again
I wrote to you yesterday twice and today once about issues with the upload facility for the triggers but have had no response.
I fear that the emails have gone into your trash box again.
Can you check or would you prefer I post the problem on the forum?
Many thanks

• Nerd
  • Élite
« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2010, 19:00 »
For uploading for might want to enable ftp and then ftp the stuff on to the server.

Or you can use a file hosting service upload using a browser on your pc and download using a browser on the server. simplest and easiest.

• All members
« Reply #14 on: 26 Aug 2010, 19:02 »
Hi Betair winner

I had problems with uploading on my trial.  I was using filezilla to ftp into the 'my documents' folder.  I had to go into filezillas settings and change it to active mode from passive mode and then it all went smoothly.  Initially ftp didnt work at all, but welldone soft sorted things on my vps quickly at there end once they knew there was a server side problem, so I'm sure if they had received your email they would have acted on it.

Hope that helps a bit

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE