Author Topic: Proof of concept / Testing time span?  (Read 1219 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Proof of concept / Testing time span?
« on: 30 May 2019, 20:04 »
Hey,

i'm a newb to bot/trigger/automatic trading, and i'm trying to develop a simple in-play strategy.
I'm working on the horse racing markets so i'm testing around 30 to 40 races a day with a ROI 1% daily, for about a week. 

How long do you guys (the ones who have long term profits) test your strategy?

Thanks 
TFAP

• Élite
Re: Proof of concept / Testing time span?
« Reply #1 on: 30 May 2019, 21:10 »
hi
sorry but for horse racing it should be a minimum of 1 year , this is because of the different seasons , each season has different grades etc and different courses , what you win in march/april  will not win in may/june and so on.
Please read the following  disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2019, 22:47 »
hi
sorry but for horse racing it should be a minimum of 1 year , this is because of the different seasons , each season has different grades etc and different courses , what you win in march/april  will not win in may/june and so on.
Wow.. had no idea of that. 
In your case, do you develop different strategies for each season or do you tweak one main strategy for all the seasons?
Thanks
TFAP

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2019, 22:55 »
Sorry, just thought of this..

If the strategy needs to change from season to season, wouldnt it also need to change every year or couple of years?

Thanks
TFAP

• Élite
« Reply #4 on: 31 May 2019, 04:14 »
hi
you need a strategy for all weather courses , turf , jumps and flat .
then there is the age , 2 yr old are unpredictable as they are new to racing also races at the start of a new season horses racing after a winter rest etc.

mcbee
Please read the following  disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jun 2019, 08:45 »
When I test a strategy, I usually use Time Machine first, to get a rough idea of what works and what does not.

This usually involves running my triggers over a period of one month. I have a set of race events from different months which I know are diverse enough to cover 90% of my needs.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
« Reply #6 on: 04 Jun 2019, 09:25 »
If your trading does not matter with horse class, season etc.. just price and live feed if trading in play, if odds are at 2 inplay could be liquidity not the position of horse .

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE