Author Topic: Excel connection freezes  (Read 901 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Excel connection freezes
« on: 31 Jan 2021, 14:34 »
Hi,

I have noticed the connection between MFP and my Excel workbook freezes
rendering both software inoperable.
To counter this I am eventually able to save and close Excel then shut down MFP.
Is there any other way to stop the connection via MFP ?
Also what might be the cause of the 'freeze'

Thanks

Ian 
My grandma taught me not to run downstairs and never back odds on.

• Administrator
Re: Excel connection freezes
« Reply #1 on: 08 Feb 2021, 12:10 »
Hi Ian,

To begin, Excel itself is not very fast when it comes to updating and processing data in the cells. MF Pro will have to wait for Excel to finish whatever it is working on before it can send a new portion of data to the worksheet. That's why we discourage you and other MF Pro users from setting the refresh rate to anything above 2 sec. Using higher rates (i.e. once per 1 sec, once per 0.5 sec) will simply render the connection useless and inoperable, because it will be freezing all the time.

Next, the OLE connection over which MF Pro communicates with Excel can be tricky: it won't work if you are actively doing something inside the worksheet, such as editing a cell or saving file/creating sheets, etc. So that could additionally stall MF Pro's data exchange with Excel.

The matter aggravates as you add more markets that are refreshed simultaneously. I don't know how many you have, but anything more than 5 will start causing problems.

I don't have any quick solution for you I'm afraid. The use of Excel was necessary in the old times when the triggers could not operate in a different way (all conditions used to be in an Excel file). But nowadays you can probably avoid using Excel altogether if you need to run MF Pro for a continuous period of time, as it is such a slow-thinking application. Use a "write to file" trigger to export to a CSV file, then open it in Excel. Or use import selections for auto-trading to import a list of values from a formatted text file.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
Re: Excel connection freezes
« Reply #2 on: 08 Feb 2021, 17:14 »
Thanks Oxa as always your advice much appreciated.
My grandma taught me not to run downstairs and never back odds on.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE