Author Topic: IF function nested depth?  (Read 1790 times)

Tags:
  • All members
IF function nested depth?
« on: 02 Mar 2020, 10:55 »
Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked on forum before but I cant find anything after searching.

I have nested IF functions statement in amount field within trigger.

Earlier versions of Excel allow if function to nest 7 deep but I dont know how deep they can go within MF Pro.... anyone know? This is limiting my progressive staking calculations at min so I'm having to do it over few triggers to a depth bigger than 7.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks
Harry

• Administrator
Re: IF function nested depth?
« Reply #1 on: 02 Mar 2020, 10:58 »
Hello!

You can go as deep as 200 nested IF expressions, but in reality MF Pro will probably stall after about 20-30 of them, combined with trigger variables inside.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 02 Mar 2020, 11:19 »
Great... thanks for your help.
Harry

• All members
Re: IF function nested depth? Further...
« Reply #3 on: 02 Mar 2020, 15:33 »
Hi Oxa,
When you say MF Pro will stall after 20-30 nested if expressions...

Perhaps this is what has been happening to my system?? ... I had 3 triggers of 7 nested if expressions in each trigger and it stalled/stopped working on 7th 'if' - reloaded triggers and it worked ok again. When I had 13 nested 'if' expressions it also stopped and had to reload the triggers to get it to work again.

This is a big problem that seems to happen all the time and somtimes when it only gets to 5th or 6th 'if' expression.

I've just set a trigger up with 20 nested 'if' expressions to see if this works better than 3 seperate triggers but when you focus on recovery staking systems I have no choice but to nest 'if' expressions!

How can this problem be overcome?
Regards
Harry

• Desenvolvedores de trigger
« Reply #4 on: 03 Mar 2020, 07:12 »
Hi foxmor

Probably your IF formula as an error, check it carefully.

pcal
Desenvolvedor de triggers oficial Market Feeder pro

Também faço:
Cursos sobre Market Feeder pro (gratuitos)
Triggers (gratuitos para sempre)

Para saber informações contacte-me!

NOTA: TESTE SEMPRE OS SEUS TRIGGERS ANTES DE OS USAR COM FUNDOS REAIS!

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 03 Mar 2020, 12:27 »
Hi,
Thanks for replying.

There's no errors, it wouldn't run and stop intermittently, and at different points within the progressive staking!

I believe it stalls as Oxa mentioned it would at 20-30 'if' expressions, just been doing sonner than 20-30 for me and things like this have been happening for years using this software.

I put together a 20 deep progressive-staking/recovery, programmings fine-checked thoroughly and will see how it goes.
Regards
Harry

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 03 Mar 2020, 16:27 »
This is a big problem that seems to happen all the time and somtimes when it only gets to 5th or 6th 'if' expression.

You need to tick "Log trigger expressions" in "Logger Options" and check the trigger logs to see what your nested IFs are resolved to. Like pcal72 suggested above, there could be a hidden error in your formula, or a variable that has not been set properly, and this could make the software freeze as it would be unable to parse such an expression.
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 03 Mar 2020, 17:39 »
Hi Oxa,
Today I set it up with 20 'if' deep expressions, as I said, and they contain no formula, just comparison operator and history loss to recover, depending on the bet number it'll stake accordingly. This ran through 15 today and got the winner on the 16th, staking/loss recovery was fine however the first 3 races of the day it done nothing, and wouldn't bet, until I reloaded the triggers. This happens all the time... things just stop working or dont work, no bets placed, I reload triggers and it works/starts betting again, carrying on with recovery.

This is extremely frustrating and has always happened, part of the reasion why I sold my lifetime username. I do wish I hadn't but when things like this continually happen, understand why I did! It also defeats the point of having automated betting software when I have to constantly make sure betting hasn't stopped and triggers dont need reloading.

I'll do as you suggest and log trigger expressions if it stops betting, just checked the box so see what happens.
Regards
Harry

« Reply #8 on: 03 Mar 2020, 19:46 »
Hi
Hope you don't mind if I drop a few notes in here which hopefully could be of help:

• what happens in the nested IF should a market settlement be delayed? is this taken into account to move on to next market etc.? 
  • from what you have described so far it looks like this can far easier be done in triggers updating user variables and will be much easier to troubleshoot
  • most of the staking plan example triggers use user variables for current loss, next bet etc.
  • in a user variable based trigger, conditions can check if there has been no update for a certain period of time and if not move on to the next market, viz. 1st bullet 
  • logging of trigger expressions is a good move, see if there are any issues with the nested IF's

and one piece of related reading
https://community.welldonesoft.com/marketfeeder-triggered-betting/advice-on-odds-lookup/msg92227/#msg92227
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #9 on: 03 Mar 2020, 20:02 »
To be honest Mark progressive recovery stakings very difficult, mentally, and today was an extremely hairy day with only one winner recovering a substantial amount and thank goodness my 20 deep 'if' expressions worked fine.

My systems do wait for previous bet/market to settle end with a result, dont know if you mean that in bullet one!

What you mention above is a little beyond me. If you have time and wouldn't mind, could you drop a simple example of what you mean in this thread? Sorry to be a pain. I do appreciate all your guys support, thank you.
Harry

« Reply #10 on: 03 Mar 2020, 21:49 »
Progressive staking plans can sometimes stall where there is a delayed settlement on the previous market, it could be for any reason, photo, weather, voiding etc. I was wondering if this is a possibility for your stoppages.
https://marketfeeder.co.uk/learn/articles/highlights/26-11-2018/ 

Most of these staking plan triggers use trigger generated user variables to calculate stakes for loss recovery, yes there are some IF statements in there, but mostly all done in user variables :
https://marketfeeder.co.uk/learn/triggers/by-tag/tags/staking-plan/   

As an option perhaps it may be worth putting in a trigger request to convert your nested IFs to trigger conditions? As a subscriber you have a quota of free requests, or you could pay a small amount for a private trigger development:
https://marketfeeder.co.uk/learn/triggers/trigger-development-service/ 

Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #11 on: 04 Mar 2020, 11:51 »
Hi Mark,
Thanks for reply and info.

Looking at alternative ways of putting triggers together without nested IF's looks pretty straight forward. Thanks for your advice... I'll put a trigger together without nested IF's, see how that goes, lot less complex than 20 nested IF statements lol
Regards
Harry

• All members
« Reply #12 on: 04 Mar 2020, 13:23 »
Hi Mark,
It was actually easy to convert my existing 'IF' trigger to setting variables trigger, recording betting totals and staking accordingly. I have to wait until end of current betting cycle and will then run it on test mode making sure it works ok.
Thanks once again.
Harry

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE