Author Topic: importing selections  (Read 7114 times)

Tags:
  • All members
importing selections
« on: 26 Jul 2015, 12:47 »
Hi, this is my first post, so not sure if I am doing the right thing by posting in the troubleshooting, and as there are so many topics, I have no idea if my question has already been answered, so please don't flame me if it has, I can only apologise for being a beginner in this very complicated subject....

I have MFP on trial with a view to trying to learn it before I buy the full product, and from my first use, I can see that it is a much more complicated piece of software than many others, but, from what I THINK I can see, MFP can do a lot more than others. So, on with my first question...

A simple example. I want to place a bet on multiple selections in a horse race today at Carlisle, at 14:10.  I want to Lay One, back another and Lay another, so, I created a text file as follows:

CARL: DONJUAN TRIUMPHANT

CARL: FIRE DIAMOND [1]
CARL: COLOR MODEL

after I had imported all the markets I want for today, I clicked on the 14:10 Carl race, and then selected Import selections for auto-trading, and chose the file I had saved with the above inside it.

I have got no idea if what I have done is correct or not because I have had no visual feedback from the MFP screen, and as such, I don't know if it will place these bets?

I would like to know also how to add odds ranges to each of these selections so MFP will bet these based on the separate conditions, so if I want to Lay the first horse at odds between 3 and 6, for £5, how do I do this. Is this possible? The example in the manual is very unclear on exactly what I need to do to achieve this.

Thanks

Mark.

Re: importing selections
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2015, 15:17 »
Hi,

You could have a look at these videos

newbielink:https://www.youtube.com/user/welldonesoft/videos [nonactive]

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2015, 16:31 »
Hi, thanks for the link to the videos, unfortunately, none of them give me instruction on the question I asked.

I need to know how to load selections, as well as multiple selections in the same race, with potentially different markets, such as Lay one between odds 2 and 6, back another at odds between 7 and 12.

even if I just stick to the basics, like Laying between odds 4 and 8 for ALL selections, I still have no knowledge on how to do this. The manual does not go into detail of how to do this, the example they give is not clear at all, and it seems like there is no detailed example on the web, and after trying to guess how to do it for today's racing, this completely failed.

Even though this may be a great and powerful product, the documentation is awful. I am actually a software engineer, so I am reasonably tech savvy, but sadly, I am not able to pick up the reins and run with this product. I have a lot of strategies that I used to use with TBE, and TBE cannot allow me to fulfil the full potential of my requirements, so I had to drop it. I really want a higher quality product, and I am pretty sure MFP can do all the things I want, but the instruction on how to do it is a little scarce.

I appreciate I have only just got the product and need to feel my way around, but I am a little concerned at this stage whether I am going to be able to program in some of the more complicated parts of my strategies. I truly hope I can. There is massive potential for the strategies I use, but they need to be done via automation, and I am frustratingly stuck at this juncture....

Mark.

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2015, 16:50 »
You are quite correct, with MFP you can do almost anything, but it does have a steep learning curve even if you are a software engineer.  

We could explain how to program the betting you describe, but this would not allow you to learn anything.  It is better if you attempt to write a trigger and then post it on the forum and ask why it doesn't work.

The alternative is to specify your exact requirements and post in the Make Me a Trigger section.  You can then either request a free trigger, in which case the completed trigger will be posted on the forum, or pay for a private trigger.  I don't know the cost, but it is not excessive.

Peronally I don't agree that the "documentation is awful".  Have you downloaded the PDF manual as this is easier to follow than the information on the help button?

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:11 »
Hi markoone11, I think you need to  give it some time.

I guess you're used to solve a problem by dividing it into smaller parts - do not count on that you can solve everything at once.

have you learned how MArket Locator works?

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:12 »
It would be nice to know where to start, I loked through the manual on importing selections where it informs me that I can add in extra values by separating them with a single tab, but there is no criteria explained and if you look at the example they put in the manual (see below), the only obvious one is £34, although that's not totally obvious, does it refer to £34 stake, or £34 liability and does it refer to a lay bet or a back bet? If I had access to a FULL set of rules and criteria, I would not be complaining.

so, without wanting to get into conflict with rubold, I have to say it is not great documentation, there is no explanation as to what each field is.

I would prefer to have a full set of knowledge, but the documentation is not providing me with that. Yes, I am now very much used to intellisense and perhaps I have gotten a little lazy, but if I need some help with my C# coding, it is a simple google search away, but not for this system....

Centasia 1 "ert"
Ticketmaster 13 22.6 "louise"
Raskova 0.00000007 "£34" 3.15 0.26
Note: put exactly one "Tab" character between the selection's name and the first value, and between
all the other values.

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:21 »
Hi,

The videos are a very good source of information for anyone on a learning curve. As are the sample triggers. And test mode. And Time Machine. And the huge archive of previous posts.

The manual is like all manuals everywhere, not very good unless you are know what you are looking for.

Post up exactly what you are trying to do and someone will tell you how.

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:21 »
Hi markoone11, I think you need to  give it some time.

I guess you're used to solve a problem by dividing it into smaller parts - do not count on that you can solve everything at once.

have you learned how MArket Locator works?

Hi tupp,

Yes, I know, you are correct, after being used to reading copious amounts of documentation so that I can fully understand something, I am just perhaps a little impatient that there isnt a lot of it for this product. If I do manage to get to grips with this, I plan to perhaps put together my own document to simplify it all.

I dont yet know how Market Locator works, I dont know what that is.....

« Reply #8 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:29 »
Hi,

Try the market locater video. As an SE, if you can write code for a small project I am stuck on and need  help with, PM me I will keep on top of whatever you need help via the same.

Larp

• All members
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:33 »
You need to have markets loaded in to the software.
When markets is loaded you can applay a trigger on that markets.

The market locator help you with laoding markets automaticly for you.

• All members
« Reply #10 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:38 »
Hi,

The videos are a very good source of information for anyone on a learning curve. As are the sample triggers. And test mode. And Time Machine. And the huge archive of previous posts.

The manual is like all manuals everywhere, not very good unless you are know what you are looking for.

Post up exactly what you are trying to do and someone will tell you how.

Hi LarpHager,

I think from what rubold has already said, he is definitely correct, it would not help me if someone just gave me the answer, because I would not be able to learn it. So, in that respect, I would rather be given pointers perhaps to allow me to reach my initial goals at this early stage. But, here is an example of what I want to do....

I want to use a 1 - 4 staking strategy, Laying for a set of selections, lets call them h1, h2, h3, h4, h5. Each of these horses is a single selection, except horses h3/h4, they both happen in the same race - i.e. multiple selection criteria. The odds need to be >= 7 and <= 15, the starting stake is £1, AND I want to recover my profit target for each race.

this isn't really one of the complex strategies, and I decide on the selections every day, I just want to know how to setup the text file and know what I need to put into the text file to allow this to work correct?

Do I put the odds in the text file, along with the id to indicate its a lay, and also the strategy? Or do I create a trigger to do all the criteria, and just add in the horses' names in the text file?

thanks

Mark.

• All members
« Reply #11 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:43 »
You need to have markets loaded in to the software.
When markets is loaded you can applay a trigger on that markets.

The market locator help you with laoding markets automaticly for you.

Hi tupp, I wasn't familiar with the terminology. For me, I just click on All Markets tab, then click the Add Specific Markets button at the bottom, then make sure I have UK and Ireland ticked in countries, then go over to sports and select horse racing, expand this and select win Markets, then click Search, which brings up the markets I selected, at which point, I click Add to My Markets. This took me  a while to figure out, but of course now its easy......

• All members
« Reply #12 on: 26 Jul 2015, 17:53 »
Personally , I want to automate as much as possible. I use the functionality to search markets automatically. Normaly I load markets once an hour - becouse if you have to many markets loaded in to the software it can give you problems!

• All members
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jul 2015, 18:32 »

I want to use a 1 - 4 staking strategy, Laying for a set of selections, lets call them h1, h2, h3, h4, h5. Each of these horses is a single selection, except horses h3/h4, they both happen in the same race - i.e. multiple selection criteria. The odds need to be >= 7 and <= 15, the starting stake is £1, AND I want to recover my profit target for each race.

this isn't really one of the complex strategies, and I decide on the selections every day, I just want to know how to setup the text file and know what I need to put into the text file to allow this to work correct?

Do I put the odds in the text file, along with the id to indicate its a lay, and also the strategy? Or do I create a trigger to do all the criteria, and just add in the horses' names in the text file?

thanks

Mark.

For this strategy you don't need to import selections, just give the odds inteval in a trigger. Build the trigger first with no loss recovery.

Use a condition like odds is between 7 and 15.

Do you want to dutch the selections in that interval i.e win a fixed amount no matter who wins?

PS. import selections for autotrading is only if you have specific names etc you want to bet on.

• All members
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jul 2015, 19:25 »
hi tupp,

I am nut sure I understand your reply fully? You say I don't need to import selections, but in my example, I am looking to ONLY have horse h1 bet on, in the race, and have the criteria for h1 as odds between 7 and 15. I understand that I can set the odds in a trigger, but what if those odds are satisfied by another horse in the race, which is not h1?

thats why my thinking is that I use a selections file, which contain the horses I want to have lay bets on for each race?

so, I want h1 to be the horse I bet on at Lingfield at 13:20 - no other, I want h2 to be the horse I bet on at Sandown at 14:50 - no other, I want h2 and h3 to the horses I bet on at 15:20 at Lingfield -no other, and they must all satisfy the odds criteria.

so, from that, do I need a selections file setup?

I have had a look at the lay-pro-88 trigger, which is the 3rd favourite system, so I am more familiar with the triggers, although still need much more info to configure them to my liking...

thanks all for reading

I am pretty excited about getting to grips with MFP, because 1. its not expensive compared to others, 2. it looks to have a lot of features 3. I THINK it has a lot of power to help me in my quest 4. its gonna help me with my betting.

the only negative is the learning curve...

oh, I don't want to Dutch......... yet......

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE