Author Topic: Internet Problems - Text Message alert of system log out?  (Read 2491 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Hi There,

I am experiencing an issue where my internet drops out during the day and Marketfeeder give me an error message of: Unable to send request 33.

I am pretty sure this is down to my BT 'Unlimited' Internet connection. As such, I was wondering:

a) Is there any way of setting up an SMS alert so that when there is a forced shutdown of MFPro I can use logmein / similar to access my home pc and restart the programme?

b) Can anyone recommend a good broadband provider for the UK? (BT Internet fails me on a daily basis)?

c) Can anyone recommend a back up solution to protect against the internet dropping out? I heard that a backup dongle might be an idea, but I was wondering if it might be simpler to get an extra broadband line into the house and use the standard one as a default provider?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Cheers

• Nerd
  • Élite
  • I think I could be on to something here!
a) I doubt this would work as MFP would still need an internet connection to send the sms.

b) No idea

c) There are routers that have 3G failover built in to them. Instead of an extra line maybe also look at a VPS or Server.

Fortune favors the brave!

Hi
If you are running the latest version of MarketFeeder, I think there is a way for you be notified of a shutdown. I have just tested this and it seems to work OK.

Most routers will automatically try to re-establish the internet connection as soon as the line conditions allow.
At the point in time when the internet connection is re-established by the router, MarketFeeder will go into automatic shutdown, with the message on the screen saying there are too many attempts to connect to Betfair.
If you have the following settings configured, a notification email will be sent:
Settings > Email & SMS > Email Settings
Settings > Look & Feel > Security > Send email alert upon the frequent losses of API session

Basically to test this, I set a trigger to run, powered down the router for half an hour, then switched on the router.
MarketFeeder shut down, and I received the email notification.

If your internet connection is unreliable, it is probably more to do with the line quality than the ISP. I doubt if changing ISP will resolve the issue. What you can try is to request an engineer callout to test your connection. However, you should be aware that if the fault is found to be on your side of the main telephone socket e.g. internal extension wiring, faulty or incorrectly placed filters, dodgy phones or router, then the cost of the callout will be at your expense.

You may not have seen the recent topic on a similar issue:
http://community.welldonesoft.com/troubleshooting-8/best-pc-to-support-marketfeeder-pro/

Hope you get it sorted.
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
Hi Guys,

thanks for your help here - really useful advice.

I'll have a go at setting up the warning this evening - sounds straightforward enough (famous last words).

aside from that, I think I will invest in a 3G failover router just to be on the safe side.

I'm sure between the two of these solutions (and a change of address/broadband supplier) I'll be able to get some uninterrupted betting on the case!

thanks again
Jon

• All members
If LTE has good coverage in your area, I'll go with that. It cost more than 3G though but the speed is way faster than 3G.
We only live once.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE