Author Topic: Mystery to me  (Read 1406 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Mystery to me
« on: 15 Aug 2021, 04:33 »
Perhaps someone can explain:

A selection was layed $3.75 @ price $8.70.

Conditions in the trigger stipulate lay a selected runner between $9.00 and $12.00.
In the trigger, price is lay_price.
In settings, unmatched bets to be cancelled at in-play is ticked.
In the trigger, cancel is nominated for unmatched.

In the trigger log it says "Going to lay $3.75 @ $9.00. Bet is unmatched. Bet placed by trigger "Laying".
There were no late scratchings.

Why was this bet placed when I wanted to only bet when the conditions as described above were met?

Is there another condition I need to include?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Bobh

Re: Mystery to me
« Reply #1 on: 15 Aug 2021, 16:53 »
Hi
I think your lay bet was matched at best price execution, and in partial chunks.
If you look at the matched odds of the lay bet, it shows matched at 8.70 which is not a valid increment (0.2) in that price range.
So I'd say your bet was fired in correctly at price 9.0 and was unmatched when it arrived at Betfair.
It was then partially matched at slightly different better prices giving an average matched odds of 8.70.

If you log in to your Betfair account and look at your Betting History, you can see two price columns:
Requested Odds / Average Matched Odds

If for that lay the req. odds are higher than avg. matched odds then the above is probably what happened.

Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2021, 03:04 »
Thanks Mark,

My Betfair statement shows exactly what you have described above.

But it doesn't solve my problem. I only want bets to be placed at my limits, even if there is an unmatched amount that should be cancelled at in-play.

Is there any condition I can include to ensure this happens? I realise in this case that the lay bet was probably under the limit, but could that affect the way the bet was placed?

Thanks for your help.

bobh

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2021, 16:47 »
Hi bobh
From what you have said I think your trigger did exactly what it should and fired in a bet within your limits. Betfair will match at best available price which is what happened and you got a better price for your lay bet. Not sure what it is you want to prevent happening? Could you give a bit more detail about what you had hoped would happen in your example above?
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 17 Aug 2021, 12:01 »
Thanks MarkV,

I do understand your explanation, but probabilities suggest the shorter the price, the higher chance of the selection winning (ie I lose).

So in this particular trigger, I was hoping to lay between $9.00 and $12.00 exactly, not at average $8.90, $8.80, $8.70, or even $6.60, nor at $12.20.

The bet appears to have been placed @ $9.00 ($30/(lay_price-1)= $3.75), but then may have only been partially matched, even if it was for 5 cents, and that is where I hoped the transaction would stop, with unmatched amounts (the balance) cancelled at in-play.

Under "normal" lay circumstances, if I choose to lay at $9.00, and subsequently lay at $8.00, I acknowledge I would be pleased, but not for this trigger.

Apologies if I am confusing the issue even more, but I just want to lay within that particular price band.

If it's unattainable, I will just have to accept the odd occurrence and move on.

Thanks again for your assistance, I really appreciate it.

bobh

« Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2021, 09:47 »
Hi
Been thinking about this. Rather than waiting for unmatched lay to be cancelled at in-play, perhaps put in a trigger to:
cancel lay if last_traded is outside your range. It isn't foolproof but it should reduce the number of times this could happen.

• All members
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2021, 10:27 »
Thanks again Mark,

I think I might just leave it as is and wear the consequences. I will try your suggestion next Saturday when there will be a lot of races.

When you're laying at those odds , it needs everything to go perfectly or a winning run is eliminated immediately.

Still, I'm well in front - selections from an external source!

Regards,

bobh

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE