Author Topic: Newby trouble with user variable  (Read 6179 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Newby trouble with user variable
« on: 14 Oct 2012, 11:46 »
I am currently struggling along in the foothills of understanding, where each attempt at trigger construction seems to take hours of reading the manual, boards and  looking at example triggers. Sometimes you feel it's all just starting to click, then an apparently simple problem can stump you for days. I realise this is the path that most have trod, and providing my computer hasn't exited through the window, I am sure that I will eventually get to a point of at least reasonable competance.

I am at present at one of the "stumped for days" points. This isn't my actual trigger set-up but it serves the purpose. The trigger is a simple back the fav in win market which fires perfectly on it's own. The condition that stops it evaluates whether a user vaiable, test_user_var, is equal or greater than 4.5. The variable is evaluated correctly and shows in the view variables window at somewhere between 4.7 and 4.9, but the back trigger wont fire. What mystifies me is that the log says the variable is evaluated to 4.7, compares it to 4.5 and returns FALSE!

I am sure it's a simple error but someone put me out of my misery please? I would attach the trigger but I dont see any obvious way of doing that.

Re: Newby trouble with user variable
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2012, 12:50 »
Hi
Expand "Additional Options" on your reply post to attach files. Or you can type out your problem condition exactly as it appears and we'll see if we can sort it.
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2012, 13:27 »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately my expanded Additional Options doesn't include one to attach files. An enablement issue may be?
Anyway, the condition is:

Selections   Trigger Expression  test_user_var  is equal or greater than  4.5

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2012, 13:44 »
Hi
Thanks - can't see any problem with that condition.  I don't understand why you can't attach a file. I really need to see the context in the trigger itself. You say you can't get the dialogue as attached?
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2012, 14:11 »
No. I get the 3 check boxes but no browse for attachments box. In the forum guide to posting it does say attachments can be made "if enabled". I certainly haven't done anything to disable the option. Have tried two different PCs, operating systems and browsers just to rule that out.

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2012, 14:14 »
PM ing you an email address for the file now

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2012, 14:43 »
Hi
The problem was in the user variable formula:
=((r_1_back_price)/2)+((r_2_back_price)/2) returns "=<value>"
should be:
((r_1_back_price)/2)+((r_2_back_price)/2) returns <value>

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2012, 15:13 »
Many thanks MarkV

Something simple indeed! I think I must have been staring at it for so long that I'd got trigger blindness! I will dig a bit further into why I cant send attachments.

Onebrick

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE