Author Topic: Trojans and viruses  (Read 2608 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Trojans and viruses
« on: 19 Apr 2017, 11:42 »
Windows Defender identified Win32/Rundas.B Trojan in lang.dll and has removed it.  Unsurprisingly MFP no longer works. Now reinstalling it.

Last month Malwarebytes identified an unspecified virus in MFP and quarantined it.  I ignored it and took it out of quarantine.

These are the only virus/malware alerts I've had for many months.

I notice from the forum that there have been previous instances of Kaspersky wrongly identifying stuff, also in the lang.dll.

Do I have a problem - or is the anti malware being overly zealous?  If it's the latter, what is in the lang.dll that sets them off - none of my other software does it.  If it's the former - then Houston we have a problem.

• All members
Re: Trojans and viruses
« Reply #1 on: 19 Apr 2017, 11:51 »
As the first part of the reinstall I tried to download the software and got - "This file is dangerous so Chrome has blocked it"!

• All members
« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2017, 11:56 »
It seems that both Microsoft and Google think MFP is dodgy.

Going to try it with Firefox and Linux.

• All members
« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2017, 12:02 »
Firefox doesn't like it either

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2017, 12:18 »
You must  have your security levels set too high in your browsers.  I have never had any problems downloading or installing the software via Chrome or Firefox.  Occasionally, my Firewall/Antivirus quarantines some of the files, but once restored and the program run successfully everything is fine.

• All members
« Reply #5 on: 19 Apr 2017, 12:23 »
Thanks Rubold - you could be right - but I haven't encountered any similar problems with other software and downloads.

I've had VirusTotal scan lang.dll - the results are interesting. 8 out of 61 antivirus packages identify various malware including Symantec - Microsoft says it's OK.

Very strange

• Tim Vetrov
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 19 Apr 2017, 12:52 »
The lang.dll file doesn't contain any program code - it's a list of strings to translate UI...
Still can't understand what antiviruses find suspicious in this file.
Sorry.
Proud to be 🇺🇦
I'm happy to help Monday - Friday, 08:00-18:00 GMT
Буду рад помочь с понедельника по пятницу, 08:00-18:00 GMT

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2017, 12:38 »
Tim

I had occasion to download the latest version on my laptop (always use my VPS so don't normally update laptop copy).   Chrome browser refused to download reporting it was infected and Firefox downloaded it, but wouldn't allow it to be opened unless I ticked various waiver dialogues.  I have not recently changed security settings on either browser and had no problems previously.  I'm simply reporting this as it may affect any new sales when potential customers attempt to download.  When I installed, it ran perfectly and my AV/Firewall (Bullguard) did not report any problems and nothing was quarantined.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE