Author Topic: Brilliant idea for the next release !  (Read 8716 times)

Tags:
  • Élite
  • head always buried in stats
Brilliant idea for the next release !
« on: 18 Apr 2010, 12:25 »
Hi Oxa

If it’s possible I have a belter of an idea for the new version when it is released!

At the moment the only quick way of identifying triggers is to give each one a specific stake (£2 £3 £3.20 etc etc)  However this means that actual sp particularly with lay bets cannot be made since it will not be clear when analysing the results which lay trigger is which as it will depend on the liability relative to the sp price.

My calculations over 6 months prove conclusively that sp prices offer both backers and layers far better long term value than taking back or lay prices just a moment before the off.

I have calculated that particularly with lay bets bigger that 7.00 an extra .85% advantage is possible. This is reduced slightly below 7 where the advantage is nearer .62%

So the request is a tag number or identifier on each trigger, which can then automatically get pasted on to, excel for analysis later.

With trigger numbers in test reaching nearly 40, I have now gone through hundreds of results, and ½% advantage can be the difference between success and failure over the longer term, so an easier way of identifying sp bets in the triggers would be a serious advantage.

Hope this is possible becasue my trigger numbers in test are reaching nearly 40, and with my sp bets I am trawling through the action log labelling each bet on the excel sheet manually!

Thanks
This time next year, we will all be paying Betfair premium charge commission rates!

• All members
Re: Brilliant idea for the next release !
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2010, 13:40 »
Hey mate

I couldn't agree more with your suggestion! :)

As you mentioned this would save valuable time from having to manually split up the triggers within in Excel.  :D

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2010, 12:17 »
BF Winner, when you are referring to SP bets, do you actually mean the special SP bets placed before the off (that are not considered matched yet), or the usual bets placed after the odd at SP prices?
Always try your triggers in Test Mode before switching to real money!

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

Присоединяйтесь к официальному Telegram-каналу!

• Élite
« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2010, 13:05 »
Yes Oxa
I refer to actual_sp bets placed before the off in horse racing.
As you know when "laying" the sp is calculated as a liability so the stake will vary from bet to bet. This makes analysis very difficult since the only identifier on the statement is the bet size. Betting at "best lay price" even a moment before the off can often give you far worse prices than the sp return which makes calculating the edge very difficult. 
If we were able to mark each trigger in the block from say 1 to 40 we would then (once the statement was transferred to excel) the long-term prognosis more accurately. ;)
Thanks

This time next year, we will all be paying Betfair premium charge commission rates!

• Élite
« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2010, 14:20 »
Of course there is another advantage of a tag on the trigger.
When you are running two platforms simultaneously with different triggers sometimes in test they will get amalgamated when you view the statements especially if you only have one hard drive. Tagging would mean easy identification from the triggers of both platforms.

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2010, 16:11 »
I don't think I'm getting it.  ???

How is tagging triggers related to SP bets? Why would you need extra tagging if you can assign a unique name to each trigger? What does it all have to do with exporting statement to Excel?

As you can see a lot of questions, I'm really struggling.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• Élite
« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2010, 18:40 »
The key is being able to get the statement copied to an excel sheet with an identifier for each trigger on the excel sheet.
You could leave everything as it is if you like, but just assign each trigger name so it appears on the statement.
I just thought that the statement would look a little large with "back drifter and reverse if starts to steam" (or whatever the trigger name is)  next to each line on the statement, so simple 1,2,3,4 etc may be easier to put on to the excel sheet pasted from the statement.
This way analysis would be much easier, rather than have to give each trigger a seperate and individual stake which means you cannot use sp and still I.D. the trigger quickly from excel.
Hope this makes some sense now Oxa  ::)
Cheers

• All members
« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:33 »
<snip>
You could leave everything as it is if you like, but just assign each trigger name so it appears on the statement.
I just thought that the statement would look a little large with "back drifter and reverse if starts to steam" (or whatever the trigger name is)  next to each line on the statement, so simple 1,2,3,4 etc may be easier to put on to the excel sheet pasted from the statement.
<snip>

From your explanation quoted above, why don't you name your triggers 1, 2, 3, 4 etc?
In your excel sheet you would know that e.g. trigger 3 is the "back drifter and reverse if starts to steam"

OT
If you lose...don't lose the lesson!

• Élite
« Reply #8 on: 23 Apr 2010, 06:49 »
Unless i am really stupid (quite possible) i believe currently the statement does not show the name of the trigger, hence it does not get pasted on to Excel.

• Élite
« Reply #9 on: 26 Apr 2010, 06:42 »
Hi Oxa
Do you know if the idea is a possibility or not?
or at least anything on the statement that can identify each trigger?

• Élite
« Reply #10 on: 29 Apr 2010, 15:01 »
Hi Oxa
Here is a classic example of needing to identify a trigger .................
The latest "Back Dutching at lay prices and Lay Dutching at back prices" is an absolute belter well done with this little gem!

But as you know there are a lots of bets and I am running this with another set of test triggers.
SO
Is there a way of identifying all the bets from the "Back Dutching"  trigger on the statement since when they are pasted to excel there is no way to tell my own test bets from the ones produced from this trigger?

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 05 May 2010, 20:29 »
BF Winner, I finally understood what you mean. You believe that it is possible to identify which trigger placed which bet, but it is in fact a long and fruitless holywar.

Let me explain.

Say you lay £10 at 2.5 with trigger A. At the same time you lay £5 at 1.8 with trigger B.
If both your bets are matched in one go and at the prices you offered (obviously the one at 1.8 will get matched later), then there's no problem with determining that trigger A placed the £10 bet, and trigger B placed the £5. This is what will usually happen if you bet in Test Mode.

Now here's a couple of more realistic scenarios.

1. You lay £10 at 2.5, but only £5 get matched, and the other £5 rest unmatched and later get lapsed. In the end you get £5 bet. If judging from the bet's amount, the program can think it was trigger B that placed it.

2. You lay £10 at 2.5, and due to high market volatility, your bet is automatically adjusted to a better price available at that moment, which is 1.8. Thus, judging from the price, the program can also erroneously identify this bet as the one placed by Trigger B.

3. Your bet gets matched in pieces: £3 at 2.3, £6 at 2.0 and £1 at 1.9. Now it is impossible to determine which trigger placed it, as none of the two original offers match the parameters of the final bet that will appear in the statement.

Hopefully you see what I mean BF Winner. What do you think can be done in this case?

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• Élite
« Reply #12 on: 06 May 2010, 06:42 »
Hi Oxa
Thank you very much for explaining this to me, of course (once again) you are correct!
However much of the hard word discovering which triggers have long term profitability potential are done in test mode at very small stakes which means that either the bet will be matched or not.

In all the work i have done on my excel going over all the data and logs manually to try to identify which trigger placed which bet i cannot remember the situation happening  more than a few times you have highlighted.

However in live play at bigger stakes I can see this happening quite often. But by the time you get to live betting the user should be confident in the approach and a few missed bets or wrongly identified in the hundreds placed should not really matter to much regarding which trigger placed which bet is concerned.

If it is possible to get this on the statement it would save me hours of work each day especially when using the dutch back/ lay  triggers. ;D

Thanks again Oxa for coming back to me with your points about the problems however, If this is the only problem i think it would be a valuable and time saving addition to the next build very small downside.

Over to you........is this a possibility?

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: 06 May 2010, 13:40 »
I will consider it BF Winner. I envisage that it is not going to be an easy add-on, but I agree that it would open significant new opportunities for staking plans and overall usability of MF Pro.

Follow us on Twitter.

Join our WhatsApp chat!

• Élite
« Reply #14 on: 06 May 2010, 17:25 »
WWHHHHHHAAAAAAHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE