Author Topic: Betting Ladder  (Read 7219 times)

Tags:
  • All members
Betting Ladder
« on: 01 Nov 2012, 18:56 »
Hi Everyone
Just a quick question that I need help on. Is there any way of writing triggers that relate to the lay and back prices on the betting ladder and not just the first 3 lay and back prices for a selection? Seconds after the off the trigger should identify the lay price for the favorite for which the amount of unmatched lay bets is the greatest within a certain price range, let's say between 1.4 and 1.8. The fact that there's good liquidity at that specific price means that any back bet of mine is likely to be matched. I can then devise various in play back/lay strategies around that liquidity with greater confidence of scalping some small profits. Perhaps there's a way that the ladder can be displayed in Excel? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Regards
Ed.

Re: Betting Ladder
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2012, 21:28 »
Hi
You ask a very interesting question, but I think currently the answer is no.

I have a few comments.

The only variable available for ladder price data at present is traded_{price} e.g. traded_1.98 will return the amount that has been traded at 1.98. It is somewhat cumbersome to use in triggers because the ladder needs to be open for every selection in each market you wish to trade in you trigger.

Your idea of the ladder data being displayed in Excel is good. The problem there is the DDE link which will not be efficient at inplay refresh rates.

The setting: General Options > Selection Settings > Retrieve all price offers, does effectively incorporate precisely the data you are looking for into the program, however the only variables that use this data appear to be back_volume, lay_volume, POM and WOM.

As mentioned in the manual, switching the above setting on will significantly slow refresh rate, which is a minus for your inplay requirement.

Welldone may consider a request from you for a new variable similar to traded_{price} i.e. volume_{price}
Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• Élite
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2012, 23:43 »
hi eeldergill
i think that you are confusing price with amount of money available and odds/price.
if you want to make sure that your set odds has plenty of money for your stake, then all you have to do is use s_x(the selections index)_(back or lay)_amount is equal or greater than (your stake times 2 or 3 etc).
if you are using the favorite as a selection then use r_x(the selections rank)_(back or lay)_amount is equal or greater than (your stake times 2 or 3 etc).
so if you want to bet on the 1st fav with 100 euro.
condition
and selections trigger expression r_1_back_amount is equal or greater than 300

mcbee
Please read the following  disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

« Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2012, 00:28 »
Hi mcbee cc eeldergill
I think eeldergill is looking for a “predictive” amount available at a specific odds range, which is not available in current variables.

e.g. Fav at start was 3.80
30 sec after the off, back price is 2.40
Now, if you scroll down the ladder, you will find 500.00 waiting to be matched on the back side at 1.40, and 850.00  waiting to be matched on the back side at 1.36.
This data is not available “predictively” in current variables, you can only see it in the ladder.

I think this is what eeldergill is looking to work with, i.e. place bets in advance to take advantage of the liquidity visible in the ladder at 1.40 and 1.36.

What you suggest above is correct, but I think something like this would be more suitable:
and selections trigger expression r_1_volume_{price} is equal or greater than 300
so using the example above
and selections trigger expression r_1_volume_1.40 is equal or greater than 300

and if you wanted to enhance this new variable further, you could have something like:
and selections trigger expression r_1_volume_{price_range} is equal or greater than 300
e.g.
and selections trigger expression r_1_volume_1.36_1.40 is equal or greater than 300
(the above example: there is more than 300 liquidity available on the favourite between 1.36 and 1.40)

Please read the following disclaimer with regards to the information you may request and obtain on our forum. This specifically concerns trigger files and various instructions as to how to implement a strategy.

• All members
« Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2012, 16:47 »
Hi All
Thanks Mark and McBee for taking the trouble to reply. You're right, Mark, it's predictive, hence waiting till just after the off to identify high liquidity prices, since many bets are cancelled when a market goes in play. I've noticed that those that aren't cancelled generally retain a good level of liquidity, even if some of it is later cancelled before the selection's price falls to the one I intend to address with my trigger. I'm going to try your trigger expression r_1_volume_1.36_1.40 is equal or greater than 300 (thus establishing a minimum level of liquidity) and, if there's more than one selection, have a tie break trigger that identifies the price with the maximum liquidity.  I will write some triggers exploiting that liquidity and let you know how I get on. Obviously, if the price of the favorite doesn't fall to the specified price then there's no bet on that race.
Best Wishes
Ed.

« Reply #5 on: 04 Nov 2012, 17:14 »
Hi eeldergill
Unfortunately that variable does not exist. I was giving you an example of something that would be nice to have (and would need a request to WDS to write the variable for a future version.)

The closest you will get (currently) is what mcbee suggests in his earlier post.

Please note, BetFair is seems to be currently OFFLINE